Point join problem?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is a trick for those "corner" problems.

I posted this somewhere with images and a brush image file.

Basically you use a perfectly round brush on a stroke. This hides the "jaggy" ends on corners.
-vern
DK

Post by DK »

Found it.

viewtopic.php?t=3415&highlight=corner+problems

A big help.
Though you would'nt have that brush handy at all please?

Thanks Vern :)

D.K
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Keep in mind one teeny tiny problem. Brushes don't "smooth" well when used at different sizes. This brush may cause "jaggy" sort of edges. I tend to only apply it to small sections at the tip of strokes and the corners. I add an extra point to those areas very close together and create a single shape for the brush effect.

Still... it looks ten times better than the OTHER jaggy corners.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

Great. Thanks again Vern. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Cheers
D.K
DK

Post by DK »

Vern.
I'm having some strange effects with that brush.

For some reason it's not antialising with the render. Do you have a specific set of brush settings that you use?

D.K
Last edited by DK on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

OOps....sorry. I just re-read your previous post about smoothing...

I'll try just capping the ends with points as you suggested.

Cheers
D.K
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

This is a big problem with "smooth" shaped brushes. It isn't noticeable with other types of brushes that have shapes and transparency and blurring.

I tried everything... the only way to avoid those jaggies is to render very large and scale down... or just not use them for an entire stroke.

One other trick I use is to have a "doubled" corner. Two points right on top of each other. Select both points and set that as a separate brush stroke. You end up with ONE single brush image just on the corner.

-vern
chucky

Post by chucky »

Phew , finally an answer, I've been looking for ages and with the search out of order I was dumbfounded.
I always mistakenly thought , this artifact was created when lines where joining from opposite end and not flowing in the same direction.- Like how similar issues happen in apps like animation master when stitching up splines.
Now I know that this is not the case I can actually do something about it. I gotta say it's still a bit of a pain,'cos these gaps can take the shine out of ASP's great look.
If I had the first clue about scripts or code , this is something I would definitely look at, but alas,when I see what people like Vern , Genete, Rasheed and other legends are doing with some of the text files they are dealing with and I just feel a little nauseous.
Ten stars to all.
I'll just keep hanging round the forums for scripts, like a seagull for chips. :P :roll:
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

One solution to this problem I have requested in the new features section - namely, to have a selectable option of curved/rounded line ends. This would fill the gap acceptably.

This line gap is a problem when you get to HDTV and above, and print media, the line detail becomes visible.

Rhoel
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I noticed something very... interesting.

I use AS for print a lot. I often do a lot of levels adjustment for masks etc.

Try this trick:

Draw a simple curved mesh with a bunch of points and add a shape with a very thick solid black stroke. Render and open in an image editor and blast the levels or curves way up so the highlights are blown out.

You will notice "breaks" at the "points" in the stroke:

There is a subtle color difference at the mesh points in the stroke... I don't know what this means exactly. It obviously isn't noticeable in renders.

-vern