Yeasayer - Wait for Summer

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Yeasayer - Wait for Summer

Post by slowtiger »

http://dekku.blogspot.com/2008/02/yeasa ... ummer.html

This clip features an interesting mixture of 2D cutouts and some effects. What I like about it is that it is consequently done on two's, thus giving it a nice puppet animation look. Also their use of photographs is good - just look at the light reflexes on the bugs! The clip appears very organic, and I like how the different elements blend together - this is rarely done with such success.
human

the sweet spot

Post by human »

There are so many things that could be analyzed about this, but since I know am already too long winded everywhere else I'll (...er, largely...) spare us.

However, I just can't resist making a few observations. Look at the great care they took to portray the details of the biological process of decay.

And the moment when the beetles are waiting for their apple-god to die, and then they consume the mold, is what we call a "set-piece"--it stays with you.

The repetitive cross-cutting between the decay motif, the solar/atomic/apple thing, and the other content is very smart.

The lesson to be drawn from the crab sequence (and probably others) is that the most primitive imaginable animation techniques can work, for brief moments, if the art is beautiful.

All in all, I think this reminds us that the animator has to take a stand, visually, somewhere between the crude and stupid cutouts of "Beavis n Butthead" and the precious 3D hyper-realism of "Lord of the Rings."

Maybe if you could find a sweet spot right in the middle, it would look like this.

WHAT? NO END-TITLES?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Wow, that is truly inspiring!