Love & Theft

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Barry Baker

Love & Theft

Post by Barry Baker »

For anyone who read through the thread on "Sleeping Betty", Slowtiger's damning indictment of German animation will have left an impression that no animation of note is happening in Germany.

Quote: [slowtiger] "So the more interesting films in terms of storytelling don't come from Hollywood. They're coming from Japan and Europe, and I expect to see even more from China and Russia and South America which deal with interesting topics, which show a different part of the world, and which tell their stories in a more interesting, at least in a different way.

(I have to make an exception for Germany, though. Since we don't have any real animation industry, and all productions depend on TV money, animated films are still seen as something for kids only, which shows in the scripts. I've been at an award ceremony of the "german animated feature film script award", and it was continuous facepalming. The 5 scripts on their shortlist were all meant for 5yr olds, and 3 of them had the same plot point: the animals of the forest unite against the building of a dam. Go figure.)"

Well, here is a film that, I think, refutes that argument, or at least provides a dazzling exception to it. Once you have watched this short, try exploring some of the other work by the same studio - in particular, "Ring of Fire" is very worth watching.

Love & Theft by Studio FILM BILDER
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, that's Andreas Hykade, an animator with a quite personal style. I've seen most of his work, it's really great.

But his style wouldn't fit a feature film.
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

No, you couldn't watch a feature film like that - it would drive one mad!