BBC reconstructs Doctor Who w/ Anime Studio

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Scot Solida

BBC reconstructs Doctor Who w/ Anime Studio

Post by Scot Solida »

I just returned from the local video retailer where I picked up a couple of recently Doctor Who DVDs - The Ice Warriors and Reign of Terror. Both of these serials were from the 1960s and had long been incomplete, with the BBC having destroyed much of their original tapes. Now, both of these have been reissued and the missing episodes recreated using 2D animation and the surviving audio tracks (in this case, provided by fans who taped the audio off the original broadcasts). This was quite successful a few years back with the lovingly reconstructed missing episodes from "The Invasion" (that one was done with Toon Boom), so I was looking forward to seeing these. As I usually do, I watched the special features first - particularly since one was a documentary with the animators. The animators discussed a little about using cut out puppets and, much to my surprise, I realized that I was looking at an Anime Studio rig! I have to say, it was very nice to see Anime Studio being used on such a high-profile release! Here's a blog entry from a fellow who was involved (and an included video of a WIP):

http://theblogofquentinchaille.blogspot ... r-who.html
synthsin75

Re: BBC reconstructs Doctor Who w/ Anime Studio

Post by synthsin75 »

Wow, great use of AS.

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I'd missed this up until now. The 'making of' documentary was very interesting. Excellent!
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I've never watched Doctor Who and am hoping to keep it that way, but I did enjoy seeing the behind the scenes and enjoyed watched Anime Studio in action!
~Danimal