My very first animation on Super8 Film

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

djwaterman

Re: My very first animation on Super8 Film

Post by djwaterman »

Man, these are mostly excellent, and you can't get that dirty handmade look anymore without lots of digital faking. The first one has a cool backing track too, if you were really ten at the time you made some good choices for a kid. I really can see a visual designer and animator at work in both of the films, and on a lot of levels it really inspires me to get something finished. The title and credit design is really good as well. Worth the effort of resurrection, I have no idea where my super 8 efforts are, it would be strange to see that stuff, but your's are actually good, almost art house.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks djwaterman! I'm honestly very surprised and pleased with the response these have received. The first one I would have been about 10/11. The second one a year or two older and this last one a year or two older again.
This last one "The Blue Ball" I never got round to adding sound. I think probably because there are quite a few continuity errors and other things I wasn't happy with at the time. Anyway, I did all the soundtrack last night (up until 2 this morning!) and I added one extra shot (the close up of the sign) in Anime Studio and also coloured two shots in Anime Studio. The music was done fast in Music Maker.

SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I found myself laughing and clapping at the end of "The Blue Ball" too.

Bravo! Bravo!
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
hammerjammer

Post by hammerjammer »

WOW! That is really well done. If you had not told us that you added the music and fixed the ball coloring, we would have never known. Either way its really good. I really like that old school hand drawn style and flow. Its easy to see the influence of the early cartoons, but still your own style. I hope that makes sense. I don't really know what I'm talking about, just know that its a compliment. I'm not an artist, I personally cannot draw much of anything. I would be happy if I could do something like this in Anime Studio let alone hand draw all those frames. Very well done. I think if you would have just posted it in its raw form, before adding the color fix and music. It would have still been good and retained all the same charm. Something I notice in all three cartoons is the attention to shadows. That really does make a difference. I spend a lot of my time just trying to create and animate anything and never add shadows. But it really does make a difference. All three are to be proud of, even though they were made all those years ago... To bad you didn't have YouTube back in them days.

HammerJammer
Check out All of my animations on my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerAnimation/videos

Thanks for watching!
Hammerjammer
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks iteque. so good to know you enjoyed it.

Hammerjammer, I did do shadows but I didn't spend much time on them at all. I literally just drew an oval around the character's feet then drew an imaginary line down from the arms and marked with a dot then drew a rounded line from the oval to the dot and coloured in with a black felt pen. I really appreciate the comments. If only I had as much spare time now as I had then! :D
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

These are so cool! It's amazing that you made them so young. Thanks for sharing.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thank You Iwaxana. It's great to know you liked them and took the time to say so. Made my day :D