My very first animation on Super8 Film

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AmigaMan

My very first animation on Super8 Film

Post by AmigaMan »

I've just had all my Super8 Film transfered to AVI files and amongst it was my first animation. I was 10 or 11 years old. It's awful as would be expected. I had no idea how to keep drawings 'on model', although the drawings are bad to begin with. :D
Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to post it here.
hammerjammer

Re: My very first animation on Super8 Film

Post by hammerjammer »

my first animation. I was 10 or 11 years old. It's awful as would be expected. I had no idea how to keep drawings 'on model', although the drawings are bad to begin with
I think its pretty darn good for being 10 or 11 years old at the time. Much better than things I have done using AS10 and I'm 46. Also with more thought and planning put into it than I do now. Don't be so tough on yourself, Anything you made then or now is and will always be something to be proud of... Besides, your probably comparing it to your current animations. Of course the older stuff will look bad to you now, I'm sure your skills have improved. Was it worth making it? That's all that matters. GOOD JOB!

HammerJammer
Check out All of my animations on my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerAnimation/videos

Thanks for watching!
Hammerjammer
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks Hammerjammer. Yes, I'm 51 now so it was a long time ago. Seems like yesterday. I did used to storyboard everything out even then.
I will have to upload some more of my early stuff.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Incredibly imaginative and creative. A child genius - no less.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks iteque. I don't know what happened later then!?
Your comment made my day though :D
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

This is great! Oh how I envy you, making Super 8 cartoons as a kid! The best I ever had was flip books. Very nice work!
~Danimal
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Keep' em coming! I think it has more stile then most of the new crap that's being put out these days.
"and then Man created god!"
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Danimal: Thanks. I started with flip books but I pesterded my parents for a Super8 camera for a few years and eventually got one.
F.M. : Thanks for the kind comments. I should remake this in Anime studio one day then :D
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Another one made a year or two later. It's weird watching these again now :D

hammerjammer

Post by hammerjammer »

AmigaMan wrote:Another one made a year or two later. It's weird watching these again now :D

This is good too. You put a lot of time into these I'll bet. This one reminded me of Poo Bear. I sure that's not the look you were going for, BUT It just reminded me of Poo bear because of the honey. I have read many Poo Bear stories to my daughter back in the day. She's 16 now.
I should remake this in Anime studio one day then :D
I was thinking about that very thing for the first one too. That would be cool.

GOOD JOB on both animations.

The closet thing to this I have ever done was maybe some stop motion type stuff. It might have been back in 2000 or 2001 when I got my first digital camera. I used to use my daughters plastic dinosaurs, figurines and dolls.(WAIT! Did I just tell everyone I played with dolls? Its a sad day!) LOL :lol: :lol: He he.... Well, you know what I meant...... Anyway, I would make these REALLY SORT stop motion type of animations using these TOYS and blocks and stuff. I don't even know if I still have all those photos anymore. Making them was very very very very tedious and I would often loose interest quickly and start to cut corners. Anime studio can be tedious too, but for some reason that doesn't bother me. Maybe its because as your making something you can always watch it to see how things are progressing. Then, the more you do, the more you want to finish it. I guess Its more gratifying that way.
On a side note, There are a lot of really well done stop motion video's using Lego characters and scenes on YouTube.

Good Job AmigaMan

HammerJammer
Check out All of my animations on my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerAnimation/videos

Thanks for watching!
Hammerjammer
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks again hammerjammer. It's very strange to have these films viewed and judged almost 40 years after making them! Obviously whback then I could only really show to school friends and family. These days anyone can produce a film and have it seen by potentially millions of people and get immediate feedback and advice.
Another thing I couldn't do then was see how the film was progressing. That's something that, as you mentioned, we take for granted now. In the old days you never knew exactly what the animation would look like until the film returned from processing.

I've played with dolls too so don't worry about that. That's basically what stop motion animation is after all :D

I can remember animating Lego and a plastic dinosaur too. My dad has that film somewhere. Strange really as it's Lego that I animate now but on computer.

Thanks for taking time to respond to my primitive old films :D
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

hammerjammer wrote:(WAIT! Did I just tell everyone I played with dolls? Its a sad day!)
I'm sure we all did, and some may still, who knows? I know I started a stop-action short featuring Go-Bots toys I had. I got about 30 seconds in and decided it was way too much work. Plus I had no story so it just plain wasn't fun.

Definitely enjoyed the second video as well, very ambitious stuff!
~Danimal
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Definitely enjoyed the second video as well, very ambitious stuff!
Thanks Danimal. I have another one that I never got round to adding sound to so I might do that now. Also, I've done an extra shot, using Anime Studio, that I hope will blend in fairly seamlessly once I've added film grain :D
Genete

Post by Genete »

Much better than many of what I can see lately with "modern high tech tools"!
-G
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks Genete. I'm justfinishing off the last film and will post it here soon. This film features a blue ball. However, in the close ups I hadn't coloured the ball in as the felt tipped pens I used only lasted 2 drawings! So, last night I loaded the film into AS and created a blue vector shape on top of the footage, made it transparent so the outline could be seen and animated the vector shape to fit. It worked out fine :D The extra shot I did fits in better than I thought too.