48.7M views; Why?

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

3deeguy

48.7M views; Why?

Post by 3deeguy »

Why do these animations appeal to so many? What does this animator know? Just curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo ... DsD--nXkel
Cheers, Larry
ulrik

Re: 48.7M views; Why?

Post by ulrik »

I love Simons cat, and I think it's because I have a cat also. I recognize the cat's behavior in the animations from Siri (my cat), and the animator plays with the feeling that the cat is the one that rules, she always get what she wants with dirty tricks behind your back. And that is exactly the feeling I have with my cat, I can't tell how she does it, but she always get what she wants.
The animation is very simple and clear, not a lot of distracting props around, it tells a story very well I think, and that what it's all about in my opinion.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

That makes sense. Thanks for the insight.
Cheers, Larry
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

There is a video out there that show the making of the bed scene animation. The artist record himself sleeping all nite and record the cat behavior at nite and condense the action for the animation, accept the baseball bat.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Really? I was going to say that the sound design was excellent. I'd never seen these before but I watched the first two in the list and I'm not surprised by their popularity. Firstly the character and art style is simple and appealing, secondly the animation is full of real world observation in terms of cat behavior, it's spot on. And then both shorts I watched had a big over the top comic pay-off at the end. Also there are a lot of cat obsessed people out there who would share these around.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

I was unaware of these cartoons. I think they are great. The content and execution are well-done, so much so that the crude artwork does not bother me.

I see so many animations where the stylistic artwork nags my nerves. A little goes a long way. Sometimes a style is suitable for stills only. If you drag it out through time it wears on you, me at least.

These Simon's Cat cartoons are cute, funny and insightful. I agree with DJWaterman, "the character and art style is simple and appealing, secondly the animation is full of real world observation in terms of cat behavior, it's spot on" and the author understands humor and there is usually a "big over the top comic pay-off at the end" if not there is a decent payoff in some form.

EDIT: I just watched the short video appealing for support to make the longer color video planned. I am both impressed and disappointed discovering that Simon's Cat is not made by one guy. How do they make money to support a team using Cintiq's and a sound studio? I guess the extra Simon branded stuff brings in a lot of money. Anyway, I do believe one person could make something as good as an episode of Simon's Cat, which is one other thing special about these cartoons.