Newbie Needs Help

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bendavis1957

Newbie Needs Help

Post by bendavis1957 »

I've been retired from teaching for six years and trying to build a home business. I need to learn to operate Moho Pro 12 to create simple animations (like moving sine waves) to market what I do to potential customers. I've just about exhausted my retirement because of developers who charged me $150.00/hour and accomplished very slow progress.

I'm looking for someone who knows this program well and is willing to teach me some basics--not to become a Moho "Ninja" but to know enough to get going on my own. I've found the program to be pretty intuitive right from the box (or download) but still struggle with stuff like Switch Layers, Layer Visibility, Layer Groups, and mainly other basic functions.

Of course, I expect to pay someone for their help but just can't keep chunking out $100-$150/hour for little progress. Please message me if you have teaching experience with this product and might be willing to not charge exorbitant fees. I pay immediately (within 10 minutes) after sessions--every time without fail.
jahnocli

Re: Newbie Needs Help

Post by jahnocli »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Well, $100 to $150 an hour seems exorbitant for what you are asking. There are plenty of tutorial videos at animestudiotutor.com, and stacks on the web.
You could also take a look at https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?src=ukw&q=Moho You're in luck- over the next 3 days courses are just $9.99; and you have access to them for ever, which is a great deal.
Can I suggest "An Introduction to Moho", which is free, and "The Complete Rigging Course: Moho and Anime Studio", which is currently $9.99. In conjunction with the manual, these will set you up for minimum cost. (You can access the manual with Help | Help from the menu bar at the top of the program).

Then you can come back here and people will try to help you if you have any problems. Good luck!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hi and welcome..

there's loads of free help here if you have a specific question .. e.g. draw and animate a standing sine wave.

1: grab and install my shape tool from here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29621#p170024
2: on a new vector layer, use it to draw a sine wave with as many points / cycles as you want (within the tool limits)
3: duplicate that layer then flip all the points vertically
4: select the two vector layers the add a new layer "group with selection"
5: convert that group to switch layer (right click on the group layer to see the menu..)
6: in the layer settings panel - in the switch tab - set to interpolate
7: in the timeline frame 1: make one of your sine wave layers the active switch child
8: on timeline (say) frame 25 make the other one active then on timeline 49 make the initial one active
9: right click the last keyframe, set to "cycle" / absolute / frame 2
10: press play

if that's not clear / not what you want all you have to do is say...
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Guys, I think as a retired teacher the OP knows the value of personal tuition, and is quite capable of finding learning materials if he has to. He just doesn't want to, nor does he want to be ripped off.

Although the advice you've given is great for other people.

Ben, check out McCoy Buck, he might be able to help you out.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

JaMike wrote:Guys, I think as a retired teacher the OP knows the value of personal tuition, and is quite capable of finding learning materials if he has to. He just doesn't want to, nor does he want to be ripped off.

Although the advice you've given is great for other people.

Ben, check out McCoy Buck, he might be able to help you out.
I believe our advice was given in good faith -- personally, I certainly wouldn't presume to tell Ben what he wants, or what his experience and knowledge is -- I'm just giving him some leads which he may wish to pursue. But it's encouraging that you think this advice is "...great for other people." That gives me a warm feeling.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

jahnocli wrote:I believe our advice was given in good faith -- personally, I certainly wouldn't presume to tell Ben what he wants, or what his experience and knowledge is -- I'm just giving him some leads which he may wish to pursue. But it's encouraging that you think this advice is "...great for other people." That gives me a warm feeling.
Yes, of course you were doing it in good faith, there's no question of that. But you actually WERE telling Ben what he wants, when he had been very specific about wanting something else. He never said the $100-150/hour he was charged was for tuition (he said he spent it on developers). It was perfectly clear to me that he was using that as an example of why he can't pay a high amount. He could be happy with some kid from a third world country charging $25 - cheap for Ben, a small fortune for the kid. Everyone wins.

Have you ever been to a forum to ask a very specific question, only to receive the answer to a totally different question? It's like me going on to a Maya forum, telling them I have 10 years professional animation experience, and asking how to do an Ease In in Maya, and then everybody starts pointing me to the Animator's Survival Guide and YouTube videos on the 12 Principles! It's very frustrating and off-putting. And it happens so many times, especially with open source software, for some reason.

Look at the first step of Hayasidist's guide - the first step is to download a script. Follow the link and there's no instructions for installing the script. So that's more research to do. That would have scared me off, no matter how useful the advice really is.

Hayasidist, you're a genius and generous with your talents. Don't ever stop.

John, you're a great ambassador for this community, always welcoming people and making them feel at home. Don't take my comments personally. I'm imagining in my head your avatar saying your last two sentences with withering sarcasm, and it's making me chuckle. :)

We're all on the same side, guys. :)

Maybe if this thread wasn't in the Animation section, Ben would find more takers. Can someone move it to Animation Jobs?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

JaMike wrote:Look at the first step of Hayasidist's guide - the first step is to download a script. Follow the link and there's no instructions for installing the script. So that's more research to do. That would have scared me off, no matter how useful the advice really is.
if anyone downloads the .zip they'll find a readme in there with a load of info on installation and usage guides...
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

JaMike wrote:We're all on the same side, guys. :)
Fine -- but I think I'd like you in front of me if there was any trouble. :roll: