One man feature length 2D-animation? and some links.

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

jorgy wrote:Do you feel that this is true of 2D as well as 3D animation?
I believe that 3D is so technical these days that is really hard for one person to know enough about every aspect to make something really great. You see awesome stills made in 3D on cgtalk.com but I would bet those stills took 30+ hours to complete and those same artists probably couldn't animate to save there lives, or at least not nearly as well as they modeled/textured.

With 2D I believe its more about the talent of the animator than it is there technical prowess in a particular program. Of course you need to know how to use Moho or whatever program you decide to pick, but these programs (luckily) aren't so bogged down with programmer like features that the 3D programs are. You have to be a friggin PhD in computer science to use half the features in most modern 3D applications these days. With something like Moho you can jump right in and start animating after maybe an hour of going through the manual and tutorials. At that point its all on the artist to make something cool. Of course you can get pretty complicated with any program if you use it to its limits, but to me 2D is more about the art and less about the technical aspects, which leaves more time to do the things that matter...story development and animating.
gochris

Post by gochris »

Yes! I agree about the fact that in Walker's case, the story was less than stellar.

As a person who makes a living making up stories, I can tell you that getting feedback on your story and writing is absolutely crucial to the success of whatever film you're making.

I agree, had Walker spent 2 or even 3 months, his movie would still have been less than terrific. On the other hand, a movie made in a month with a good story could be terrific.

I should have been clear: doing a solo cartoon does NOT mean refusing to listen to feedback! Showing work in progress is fundamental to any art form, whether its solo cartoons, or music, or basket weaving or whatever. And where Walker and the Kaze guy may stumbled is that they didn't get decent feedback.

But of course the web makes it possible to get feedback from just about anyone, experienced animators to the complete novice.

And that's cool.
gochris