Synfig 0.61.08 is out!

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Synfig 0.61.08 is out!

Post by Genete »

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I'm looking forward to trying it out if they ever release a Mac version.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Mac version is possible only compiling the source code. They need someone who maintain the Mac package. Can you help? :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

This looks real interesting, but it looks like it uses something closer to ToonBoom's peg system than Anime Studio's bones. If they ever implement a good bone system, I'll definitely be interested.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Remember, that this is a developer version, not meant for general use.

There is no Mac binary, because the previous maintainer has left the project (or there was never a Mac maintainer).

You obviously don't just join such a project. It is a lot of hard work in your spare time and not a lot of reward, other than that your code has been included in the project.

If you like to code, and you like animation, go for it!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Genete wrote:Mac version is possible only compiling the source code. They need someone who maintain the Mac package. Can you help? :D
There is a very big hurdle to take for SynFig on Mac OS X. The GTK+ for Mac OS X is only available for PowerPC. There is not Intel version for GTK+. This means you cannot run SynFig on Mac OS X, unless you restrict yourself to the PowerPC, or also develop an Intel version of GTK+.

So, it is obvious, there will not be a Mac version of SynFig any time soon, because most Mac users are currently switching to Intel.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Rasheed, I have had Synfig running on intel based macbook, both using x11 and also running native (the native version was not working so well but the x11 version was running great, then I switched to leopard os and it didn't work so good anymore, I don't know why but it took ages to render so now I only use my ppc machine.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Well, I suppose I was wrong then.

I tried to install SynFig from source myself, and I ran across this problem. I have a PPC GTK+ version on my Intel Mac, but the first step in the installation process falters because of incompatibility. When I searched for a Universal binary or an Intel version of GTK+ on Sourceforge, I saw there is none.

I guess the original maintainer used a different installation process, or I don't understand the process (which is quite possible).
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

I don't know much about all this technical stuff, (unfortunate) but I followed this instructions: http://synfig.org/Building_On_Mac_OS_X
and I remember I had a lot of errors installing all dependicies, but finally it worked. I wish I could tell you more specific what kind of errors and how I solved them, I also had a lot of help from the synfig irc channel, they are very helpful! You find the channel here: irc.freenode.net and join the "synfig" room.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Nah. I guess I just stick with Anime Studio. I'm not a developer, and don't want to steal time of those who are, because I just want to install some software that isn't ready for mainstream right now.

I have done my fair share of hunting down dependencies with open source software, and, frankly, I'm a bit fed up with the whole concept of compiling from source. It uses up more of my time than I'm prepared to sacrifice.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I've bought VMWare Fusion and installed Ubuntu 8.04 in it. Synfig runs like a charm :D

Now I need to do all the tutorials to grasp the concepts of this program.
Genete

Post by Genete »

\o/ Welcome! \o/