Free Mac OS X Video Editor ...

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Yooperville

Free Mac OS X Video Editor ...

Post by Yooperville »

Easy to use, basic editor. Company changed business model and released it for free. Check it out here:

http://www.arboretum.com/products/hyper ... _main.html

FYI -- Greg.
Wlee2060

Re: Free Mac OS X Video Editor ...

Post by Wlee2060 »

Another easy-to-use video editor you can rely on is Joyoshare Media Cutter for Mac. It allows users to cut, split, trim and join video and audio file without quality loss in a fast speed. Besides, you can also use this Mac video cutter and editor to crop the video, rotate and flip it, adjust the video's parameters, insert watermarks, add subtitles, overly special effects, etc. For more information, please go visit its official website: Joyoshare Software.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
bestazy

Post by bestazy »

I'd like to start this old thread again
iMovie as the free stuff, Final Cut Pro X for the payed software. I would spend the money to buy final cut if you want to get serious with editing.
Maybe it's helpful to others.
Last edited by bestazy on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I would go with Hit Film Express which is also free.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
cyclearrows

Post by cyclearrows »

Davinci Resolve is similar to Premiere. It has audio editing almost like Audition and also Fusion which you compare to After Effects. It's not easy to learn but it's used be professionals and the "basic" version is free.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I don't think Fusion is available in a free version any more, however they did lower the price for the professional version to $299. That's a bargain, since I paid nearly $1000 for it only a few of months before the price drop. At the time, even a $1000 seemed like a 'good deal' to me because for the longest time, Fusion cost around $4,000.

I used Fusion nearly everyday for about 12 years when I was a staff artist for The Box at Rhythm & Hues Studios. Fusion is a fantastic program, and I prefer it for compositing cg, live action and visual fx. I also use After Effects but mostly for motion graphics and working with cartoon animation. At my current work place, I mostly use Nuke and AE for compositing.

Nuke has become the industry standard for studio vfx compositing but I think it's way too expensive. Nuke is a nodal compositor and similar to Fusion in many ways but I think Fusion's UI is more polished and it's certainly a whole cheaper than Nuke these days.

For compositing Moho animations, I really like using AE. It's what I use with Moho at work, and it's what I usually use to composite my personal 2D animation project. (Although I used Fusion to composite Scareplane and that worked out well too.) BTW, by the term compositing, I'm not just talking about assembling layers but also animating and applying effects. For example, a lot of the lighting and particle effects you see in my Moho animations usually comes after bringing my Moho layer comps into After Effects. Technically speaking, you can do compositing in Moho and in a video editing program, but not as efficiently or with nearly as many options as you have in a dedicated compositing program.

AE is available only through the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, which is worth it if you use at least three programs regularly, and take advantage of resources like their huge font libraries. I routinely use Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Audition, InDesign, and lately I've been learning to use Animate (formerly Flash.) If I didn't already like Vegas Pro so much, I'd probably be using Adobe Premiere too. So the CC sub totally makes sense for me. But if you're only interesting in one or two programs, then it's not such a great deal.

If you don't want to go with the CC subscription, I recommend Fusion or HitFilm. I haven't used HitFilm but from what I've seen, HitFilm seems more AE-like if you prefer layer-based compositing.

All that said, the above is for compositing and not video editing, so maybe this is a little OT. However, for me, a good compositing program is an important link between Moho, other media (cg, live action, etc.,) and video editing. In my experience, no single animation program does everything I need, but a good compositing program allows me to bring together the best features of any animation program.
cyclearrows

Post by cyclearrows »

I just downloaded the latest Davinci Resolve version and Fusion is still there. Now it's integrated in Davinci and no separate programme. I think Davinci Resolve is quite similar to Adobe Premiere. My workflow used to be Moho, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere. The next project I will do in Davinci Reslove but it will take time to make a new animation and to learn and use Davinci. I will let you know more when I have more experience.
Lilah Swift

Post by Lilah Swift »

https://wave.video comes to my mind. I use this service from time to time. Perfect online resource with basic and advanced features. Try it out.