Recommend animation software for kids?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

madrobot

Recommend animation software for kids?

Post by madrobot »

I got a message from an old friend who wants some advice on animation software for her kid. Not sure what age, I met them and we're looking at mid-primary school age I think. Let's say 10, or a bit younger.

Can anyone recommend any apps?
(What's that free 3d one again?)

(I need to think carefully before I reply, I don't want to recommend something and then spend the next 5 years giving training, tech support and so on.)
chucky

Post by chucky »

I think that was called zencub3d.
Why don't you suggest an etcha sketch?
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Um, hate to state the obvious, but what's wrong with AS?

If I remember properly, DK had a lot of success teaching animation to kids using AS and some files he had developed -- I think that's actually the first I ever heard about AS (doing a web search).

AS ain't rocket science -- and ten year old kids are wicked smart (scary smart nowadays). I think the sale price for regular AS is still good, which is the best $30 you can spend on anything.

Your support would then be pretty simple -- direct the kid here (heck, I remember we've helped several kids around that age).

About the only drawback I can see is that this approach is not a frame by frame software package -- but if the kid is really interested in that then just a simple drawing program (even Paint) would be more than adequate.
psaldari

Post by psaldari »

Genete

Post by Genete »

http://www.pencil-animation.org/

Interface is easy, not difficult concepts and it is free.
-G
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Acochran_89

Post by Acochran_89 »

i would look at a program called pencil...it's free and really easy to use. Also there is a free 3d app called Anim8tor...it's not TOO terribly difficult and can be a lot of fun...but....not sure i'd recommend it to a 10 yr old.....
you could always suggest a paper and pencil lol
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

I'm thinking of telling them to shoot stop motion with a webcam.
DK

Post by DK »

mad....if you are interested I could send you a free educational (lite) version of the Wienertoonz files I developed for use with AS? The only thing is, the characters are already built and pre animated in cycles. All the kids have to do is use the translate tool in AS to drag them around.

I paid a programmer to create a Wienertoonz software app for kids 7-12 and was going to market it to schools but the programmer took my money and left me with a bunch of uncompiled stacks, not even an exe
:(

D.K
zorg

Better late than never

Post by zorg »

I got my kids in to animating by teaching them stop motion animation with clay ( claymation ) and with their legos. I found a program designed specifically for 8 to 15 years olds called iKITMovie . They love it. It has sound effects and music included in it. And they can add their voiceovers etc. It might be worth a try.
Good luck with it.
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Use Blender, Its Free GPL software available for all OS.
http://www.blender.org
Click this link to see the Character I have created in Blender
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff22 ... frogsu.png
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff22 ... l/hugg.jpg