TVPaint

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TVPaint

Post by TVPaint »

Not from the website, it's a little complex... I send you a PM ;)
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Ive had a trial of TVP 9.5 for a couple of months that I keep coming back to and I have to agree with the others here.

The interface has everything customisable and even if its not particularly pretty(for the platform agnostic reasons mentioned already) you can pretty much make it look like you want.

The drawing tools remind me of my beloved Artrage and are really good.

Only think lacking is my abilities and for that reason alone I just cant bring myself to pay best part of £435 (without TVA?? <<erhmm whats TVA?) for the standard addition.
Even if I went back to fulltime education I'd still have to forkout £220 (without TVA.. theres that TVA again?)

undoubtably a worthy purchase and maybe they are happy to keep out of the hobbiest market, £200+ I can do for a bit of fun.. £450 nah... I wish.
Catch 22.. I'l try and play with the trial and hopefully get some skill in it that will encourage me to 'invest'. However, at the moment It is simply doing a great job at showing me all the features (which are nice) but since I dont animate yet properly, and cant save I'm left doing some very poor pencil tests of about half a dozen frames.

anyway.. my point (what there was a point?) its pretty awsome but unless you are planning to make money out of it its hard to take the leap and hand over the dosh since the cheapest version is nearly £500
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
TVPaint

Post by TVPaint »

Hello SvenFoster,

Thank you for your compliments about custom and drawing tools =)

TVA = French VAT (+19,6%), that you have to pay, except if you have a VAT number (for companies or a freelance-artist) or if you are out of the European Union (but, it's not your case, as you count in £)
(but, where did you read "TVA" ? We cared about writing "VAT" everywhere in the English website O_o)

Yes, the software may be expensive, but any passion has a price : renting a piano and taking lessons costs minimum 80 euros / month (= 960 euros / year), a good Folk guitar costs around 300 euros, horse riding costs 30 euros / hour...

All depends on what you want to do : if you plan to use the software very frequently, the investment will be worth it =)
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

TVPaint wrote:Hello SvenFoster,

Thank you for your compliments about custom and drawing tools =)

TVA = French VAT (+19,6%), that you have to pay, except if you have a VAT number (for companies or a freelance-artist) or if you are out of the European Union (but, it's not your case, as you count in £)
(but, where did you read "TVA" ? We cared about writing "VAT" everywhere in the English website O_o)

Yes, the software may be expensive, but any passion has a price : renting a piano and taking lessons costs minimum 80 euros / month (= 960 euros / year), a good Folk guitar costs around 300 euros, horse riding costs 30 euros / hour...

All depends on what you want to do : if you plan to use the software very frequently, the investment will be worth it =)

http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/artic ... prices.php -> choose 'United kingdom' ;)

absolutely agree that if its your passion there are worst ways of spending your time and money... Simply commenting that there isnt really a feasible entrylevel price... unless I get a student to lie for me... (which lets be honest wouldnt be hard.. they will do anything for beer money)
..not that I would.. I'm a software developer and people should be paid...

Maybe a one off price special would help ;) ;) ....worth a try.. maybe if I draw a picture of a cow?

--Sven
TVPaint

Post by TVPaint »

SvenFoster wrote: http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/artic ... prices.php -> choose 'United kingdom' ;)
Oops :shock: :oops: !! You're right, we will correct that !
SvenFoster wrote:they will do anything for beer money)
:mrgreen:

SvenFoster wrote:Maybe a one off price special would help ;) ;) ....worth a try.. maybe if I draw a picture of a cow?

Too bad you didn't take advantage of the offer in June, for the 20th anniversary ! Well, be patient, maybe we will propose another one during the coming year =)

(hmm, a "drawing cow" contest... that's an idea... :mrgreen: Love yours, btw ! :D)
dm

Post by dm »

TVPaint wrote:Yes, the software may be expensive, but any passion has a price : renting a piano and taking lessons costs minimum 80 euros / month (= 960 euros / year), a good Folk guitar costs around 300 euros, horse riding costs 30 euros / hour...
Oh, the upgrade costs for a guitar... Hardware, software, accessories...

I think a sticking point might be that some of the other animation software publishers have 'hobby' versions available. PLE versions too. If you consider the 'entry level' of TVP, it's relatively more expensive than, say, Toon Boom Studio. Consider the cost of Anime Studio [pro] vs that of TVP, and it's a big jump in cost. Thus, this audience isn't necessarily TVP's target audience, initially.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The TVPaint standard version allows, unlike other software, complete production of high resolution, high quality animation of any length. I just had a look at the comparison table, and the only important things missing are: camera tool, blending mode of layers, and multiple soundtracks. For an amateur on a budget this is more than just good enough.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

slowtiger wrote:The TVPaint standard version allows, unlike other software, complete production of high resolution, high quality animation of any length. I just had a look at the comparison table, and the only important things missing are: camera tool, blending mode of layers, and multiple soundtracks. For an amateur on a budget this is more than just good enough.
I agree.. never once said its not worth its money.. just stating that to a hobbiest its just a bit to far.. Educational price I can stretch to, 'freelancer' price..erhmm nope.

I'm saving my pennies for the 40th year anniversary...or maybe if they do one earlier ;)
--Sven
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

TVPaint wrote:
The talent at TVPaint forum is pretty intimidating though.
:shock: Why ? Because we answer too fast or because or because you think we will bite you :mrgreen:
Heh, I meant everyone is so good artistically (and there appears to be few world renown talents in the mix as well) that I'm a bit shy about showing anything there.

But give me time... :wink:
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

dm wrote:If you consider the 'entry level' of TVP, it's relatively more expensive than, say, Toon Boom Studio. Consider the cost of Anime Studio [pro] vs that of TVP, and it's a big jump in cost. Thus, this audience isn't necessarily TVP's target audience, initially.
I don't think you can compare Toon Boom Studio or Anime Studio Pro directly with TV Paint - TV Paint is for people who want to draw to a professional quality level, and NEED the extra power it gives. What's the point of having a cheaper version, apart from to satisfy some people's curiosity?

TBS is little more than a toy, and ASP is not targetted at people who want to draw every frame.

I think it's great that TV Paint aren't going for the Walmart crowd, and are concentrating on the professional market. That's one of the reasons they have the BEST drawing tools out of ANY animation software.
dm

Post by dm »

JaMike wrote:
dm wrote:If you consider the 'entry level' of TVP, it's relatively more expensive than, say, Toon Boom Studio. Consider the cost of Anime Studio [pro] vs that of TVP, and it's a big jump in cost. Thus, this audience isn't necessarily TVP's target audience, initially.
I don't think you can compare Toon Boom Studio or Anime Studio Pro directly with TV Paint - TV Paint is for people who want to draw to a professional quality level, and NEED the extra power it gives. What's the point of having a cheaper version, apart from to satisfy some people's curiosity?

TBS is little more than a toy, and ASP is not targetted at people who want to draw every frame.

I think it's great that TV Paint aren't going for the Walmart crowd, and are concentrating on the professional market. That's one of the reasons they have the BEST drawing tools out of ANY animation software.
Kinda' missed the point there, didn't you?

I use TVP (professionally).
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

dm wrote:Kinda' missed the point there, didn't you?

I use TVP (professionally).
I don't think I did miss the point, but I might not have been clear enough in making mine. :)

You were saying that because there is no low-end version of TV Paint, that this is the wrong forum to be talking about it in, right?

Well, to illustrate my point, let's say that TV Paint is a Porsche, and TBS and ASP are go-karts (as far as drawing tools go). I don't think that Porsche should make go-karts just so go-kart drivers can play with a cut-down Porsche. A Porsche is a Porsche, it's for people who need the best. That doesn't mean the go-kart drivers can't save up for a Porsche if they really want it.

I don't know if that's clearer or not, it's my first time doing a car analogy.

There was some guy on the TV Paint forum who got in a hissy fit because they wouldn't make a crappy Lite version, I thought the reasons given against it were pretty good. (I hope he hasn't come here and seen this post!)

Anyway, I use TV Paint professionally too, so I think we're singing from the same page, just in different keys. :)
TVPaint

Post by TVPaint »

Thank you all for your kind works (and the funny comparison with Porsche, I loved it a lot :D).
neeters_guy wrote: Heh, I meant everyone is so good artistically (and there appears to be few world renown talents in the mix as well) that I'm a bit shy about showing anything there.

But give me time... :wink:
Oh, I understand better ^^

I hope you will come and show us your art ! Don't be shy ;)
dm

Post by dm »

dm wrote:Thus, this audience isn't necessarily TVP's target audience, initially.
JaMike wrote:You were saying that because there is no low-end version of TV Paint, that this is the wrong forum to be talking about it in, right?
No. I was only referring to TVPaint's [quoted] comment about your "passion having a price."

This forum does have a number of 'Wal-Mart' purchased copies of AS [users] in it. A lot of 'kids' too. (me:)I think a sticking point refers to their general ability and/or willingness to make that sort of financial investment in TVP as a hobby. Animation is an expensive hobby. There are certainly enough people on this forum who don't even want to pay the upgrade costs for ASP. I'm sure they would appreciate something lesser to get into it (TVP). I don't know that it's worth the time and effort to support that though (for the TVP team). ie: Porsche doesn't need to sell go karts. SvenFoster pointed that out earlier.

Off that, I do think the TVP interface logic is similar to the Anime Studio interface logic. Not the tools, but how they're applied. It's not that hard of a transition. I don't like either interface, but some people do. I live with it. It's not that hard.

>neeters_guy: From what I"ve seen of your work, you're fairly technically adept at drawing. Certainly more so than a couple of those 'world class' animators. I think you'd find general acceptence. There are a couple of cranky old men (like me) who don't care for 'anime', and more so 'fan-based, derivitive' work. If you got comments, it would probably be to find your own style, or how to tune your characters/animation to work better. Tends to be helpful though. Show your stuff, keep an open mind.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

TVPaint,

How often do you have discounts on TVPaint? If I know I will keep my eyes open so I don't miss the next one.

uddhava