3DCutOut - A New Fully 2,5D Animation System inside 3DS Max

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Andy Blazdell

Re: 3DCutOut - A New Fully 2,5D Animation System inside 3DS

Post by Andy Blazdell »

I think I prefer AmigaMan's post. :)

The core of the matter is that what you see as thread hijacking is what I see as exercising a right to reply. We can agree to disagree about that.

But good news, everybody! I am off to Burbank tomorrow for the CTN Expo, so I will be far too busy to respond for the next few days (the responses were okay, it was the amount of Googling I had to do to prove all my facts that took the time :) ). And in any case, we're just retreading points covered in earlier posts, there's nothing new being said now.

Synthsin75, if you're at the Expo and you want to drop by our stand, I'll happily buy you a beer to show there's no hard feelings.

And AmigaMan, next time I see you (let's not leave it another 9 years!), I'll buy you a beer and throw in a packet of Pork Scratchings. :)
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

The curious thing is that the original post was a first and only post :roll:
"and then Man created god!"
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

Looks interesting, but I wonder how hard it would be to modify these rigs. One of the big advantages of Anime Studio is that we can jump right into our rig and make adjustments to the artwork on the fly.
iwansuryo

Post by iwansuryo »

Looks interesting, but I wonder how hard it would be to modify these rigs. One of the big advantages of Anime Studio is that we can jump right into our rig and make adjustments to the artwork on the fly.
That's the most valuable comment on this thread. I don't understand why we should become emotional when comparing one software with another. I expect people to have different personal opinions on such matters so that I can learn from different perspective.
iwansuryo

Post by iwansuryo »

I am still waiting for their Object Generator presentations. It looks like it's system based on IK spline system, which makes very interesting results. It is very very similar to Plastic Tools from Toonz, which has been demonstrated perfectly on Ipad application, Plastic Animation Studio. You can learn it from

http://www.plastic.toonz.com/

It's not enough to replace IK Bone System, but it's very perfect for any kind of object animation system. You can look their short demo at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-aIMHKZ0Y8&spfreload=10
PJHanime

Post by PJHanime »

Hello I am a longish time user but never have the time to post anything about it here.
the Foundry software "Mischief" is pretty great. It's not for animation but is a drawing program. the advantage of it is unlimited rez. Which is pretty useful. How many times have you done something in photoshp only to regret not saving it at higher rez for re-use in a close up. pretty inexpensive to boot. especially today.
There is a free version that is very very useful.
3DCutout looks like a useful tool for a studio already using 3ds. Is there something like that for Maya? now that I could use this week.
never used CelAction2D. I am sure it works as advertised.
For the money Anime Pro is pretty hard to beat. And I am pretty happy they have come up with improvements along the lines I always am thinking that makes my workarounds obsolete. well done!
My only problem with it is that no studios here (Canada) really use it or have any idea what it can do or even interested in even considering the possibility it could do a lot more than just simple cut out. Pretty frustrating for a professional!
But again for the price Anime Pro is pretty great! And sometimes I have a lot of fun with hacking on it. So keep on pushin it! You got my vote (for what it's worth).
Seasons Greetings!
http://philholloway.wix.com/01
PJHanime

Post by PJHanime »

In any case, the point of CelAction2D is to split the drawing process from the animation process - as soon as animators have to stop and draw something, their speed immediately plummets to that of traditional animators. By keeping the processes in separate programs, we further encourage that split. You also need fewer animators who can actually draw in the style of the show (which opens up job opportunities for many more animators).
I think this about sums it up philosophically speaking. Now if I was a salesman, knowing what I know to date, I would use the same line as a sales pitch but like this (not in earshot of the artist and animators of course)
"You also need fewer animators who can actually draw in the style of the show. Which opens up the opportunity to hire more unskilled animators and keep cost low. " (let the producer's mind spin about tax credits and gov. subsidies sold by the seemingly higher employment numbers on his or her own)
business is business.
On the other hand I could use the same argument transposed to sell Anime Pro in a different way.

"In any case, the point of Anime Pro is keep the drawing in the animation process - as soon as animators have to stop and wait for the art department to draw something for them, their speed immediately plummets to that of traditional animators. By keeping the processes in same programs, we further encourage faster production and creative innovation. You can hire fewer production managers, low skilled animators and artists when you focus on hiring well paid skilled animators who can actually draw in the style of the show to help keep your costs low."

Artist's Pollyanna? maybe. but times change and you never know what the future holds.
Happy Holidays!
seren animation

Post by seren animation »

Hehe, describing NOT having something as a feature is surely only something a used car salesman could come up with. :)
Brakes Sir? We've always found it best to use other cars when you want to come to a stop...