Toon Boom announces new products (and prices!)

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Toon Boom announces new products (and prices!)

Post by Greenlaw »

dueyftw wrote:...I have looked for a replacement, but the closest is fusion(a very buggy crash fest program).
Just curious but which version of Fusion are you using? I've been using Fusion for about 14 years for commerical and film vfx production, and for me and the artists I've worked with, Fusion has generally been rock solid.

I stopped upgrading at 6.4 though. We'll eventually upgrade our licenses to 7 but so far haven't seen a need to. If 7 is really that unstable, I'll probably hold off a bit longer.

G.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Greenlaw wrote:
dueyftw wrote:...I have looked for a replacement, but the closest is fusion(a very buggy crash fest program).
Just curious but which version of Fusion are you using? I've been using Fusion for about 14 years for commerical and film vfx production, and for me and the artists I've worked with, Fusion has generally been rock solid.

I stopped upgrading at 6.4 though. We'll eventually upgrade our licenses to 7 but so far haven't seen a need to. If 7 is really that unstable, I'll probably hold off a bit longer.

G.
Version 7.5 build 1477
Personally it just might be my computer. But if you have 6.4 and upgrade I wouldn't overwrite it.
The learning curve is kind of high for me because of the node system. If I was in a production house with dead lines Fusion would be better than AE because you could setup pipelines for jobs and just tweak them as needed.

I just downloaded Davinci Reslove 11 lite and so far it hasn't had a problem.

Dale
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I have ToonBoom Animate Pro, and I find it frustratingly complex. Especially for the rigging and deformers. And that whole networking node based thing is even more complex and complicated. I'm just not liking it much.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Using nodes allows you to easily share or exclude elements like masks (Cutters) and deformers with various body parts in a way that's impossible to do with a layers only systems like After Effects or ASP. As a long time Fusion user, I sometimes wish ASP had nodes as an option.

On the other hand, ASP's ability to keyframe layer order, the ability to set up action controllers (SmartBones), and its IK and constraints system gives ASP its own unique advantages in rigging and animation over TBH (and Animate Pro).

Like i said before, every major animation program has its special strengths but there's no one perfect program out there that has it all. You should use what you're most comfortable working with. Speaking as a 'generalist' artist, I need to be able to work in whichever program I'm asked to work in, so it's in my own interest to learn them all. (Well, as much as I can cram into my head anyway.) :)

G.