Adobe Character Animator

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Adobe Character Animator

Post by DK »

jahnocli

Re: Adobe Character Animator

Post by jahnocli »

It's like Crazy Talk Animator on steroids...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I played around with Adobe Character Animator a few months ago when it came online for CC users.

Yes, It's a lot of fun to play with but I'm not sure it's quite ready for prime time yet. In fact, the current release is still considered a 'preview' feature in AE CC 2015. The video based motion capture is kinda cool, especially with many computers these days have an integrated camera. I've ran it on a small laptop and a tablet computer propped up on its stand and, considering the 'low-tech' nature of the capture system, it tracked my face very well. Needless to say, you need good even lighting on your face and upper body for it to work accurately. If you're sitting with your back to a window, forget it. :)

At the moment, I think CrazyTalk Pro features a wider range of control for puppeting a character, and CT's automated behaviors and expressions is pretty neat--it's actually kind of creepy watching the character emote on its own. The software bases the character's facial expressions on the tone it hears in the audio track. CT also does a really good job of faking depth to your 2D character, making it look almost 3D.

Like Adobe Character Animator, I think CT is still a bit of a toy program it's but a little more polished. Then again, CT has been around a lot longer and Adobe Character Animator is just starting out. CT doesn't have mocap input like ACA though--CT is mouse-based puppetry. (Which ACA also has.)

I guess that's the big difference between the two programs: CT is mainly audio driven and ACA is mainly video driven. I wonder who will be the first to use both types of 'animation' inputs.

I've been thinking about how I might use Adobe Character Animator in our projects. Maybe if I wanted to do a daily cartoon show with a loose 'chatty' format, this would be the way to go.

BTW, if you previously had problems with the camera and transport controls vanishing at certain Windows UI Scale settings, the recently released Preview 2 fixes these issues.

G.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Greenlaw,
You're dead right regarding using this tool to make a daily cartoon chat show. Puts the animator back into the drivers seat regarding producing and monetizing animated content for youtube and other platforms. I really think AS needs something similar to help it's users compete in todays media place. I don't believe it has to be a comprehensive tool set just something that allows us to produce fast, simple animations with a live feel to it.

Cheers
D.K