Toon Boom Harmony 15 - Features Controllers

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JoelMayer

Toon Boom Harmony 15 - Features Controllers

Post by JoelMayer »

Might be interesting to some of you who also use Toon Boom next to MoHo ;)

https://www.toonboom.com/products/harmo ... hatsnew-15

I like the Perspective Feature... We'll see about pricing an if these are only features available in the biggest package ;)
herbert123

Re: Toon Boom Harmony 15 - Features Controllers

Post by herbert123 »

Of the new drawing tools (guides and vanishing points), textured vector brushes, and recolouring, only the first one will be available in the basic Essentials edition. The other two will require Harmony Advanced or Premium.

The new master controllers, new rigging tools, mattes and masks options, and node view improvements are reserved for the Premium edition. As is a new OpenGL node that improves the performance of (working with parts of) rigs.

Aside from these, this release seems mainly focused on removing Quicktime reliance in Windows (now Windows Media Foundation is used instead) and retina display support.

So... The essentials version is still pretty limited, and I see no market for that one at all. Why work with Essentials if OpenToonz is available for free for beginner animators? Advanced is missing out on any of the new rigging tools - which means no competition for Moho. Even the Premium edition still can't quite touch Moho's cutout character rigging tools.

But for existing premium users it is a reasonable upgrade. Some long overdue things (guides!).

Adobe is now said (according to beta testers) to up the ante finally again and is working on a number of animator-related feature updates. Toonboom is a pretty over-confident and their 'high-and-mighty' posture in the market might start working against them. Thing is, they advertize themselves as the best in the world, which they aren't - but nowadays it seems shouting falsehoods out the loudest makes them 'true' in the mind of many people.

I blame advertising. :wink:
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

I'm definately keeping my eyes on this, but am far from convinced.
herbert123 wrote:Adobe is now said (according to beta testers) to up the ante finally again and is working on a number of animator-related feature updates.
That's great to hear. Do you know for which package? I hope they fix the timeline/onion-skin/workflow for hand drawn animation in Photoshop, that would be sweet.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Ah, sorry - that would be Animate CC (formerly known as Flash). No, Photoshop is not getting a lot of love in that area - at least, not that I am aware of.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

herbert123 wrote:Ah, sorry - that would be Animate CC (formerly known as Flash). No, Photoshop is not getting a lot of love in that area - at least, not that I am aware of.
Oh well... Adobe Animate needs a loooot of work for me to consider using it. But Adobe has a lot of resources, so who knows.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Maybe Adobe will buy Moho...
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

InfoCentral wrote:Maybe Adobe will buy Moho...
Well, Mike Clifton *does* work for them now...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Turns out that the new wonderful master controllers require scripting. No GUI option is available.

As you can imagine, users on the Toonboom forum are less than amused, and some feel duped. Moho is mentioned quite a lot - if Moho can do this better, what is Toonboom doing?
chucky

Post by chucky »

Ha , that's hilarious!
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I guess I will stay put with Harmony 14 for now.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
KeeCoyote

Post by KeeCoyote »

I would use Adobe Animation if you could actualy buy it, not rent it.