Clip Studio, dropping Smith Micro?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Re: Clip Studio, dropping Smith Micro?

Post by chucky »

Well, I can't get it do anything, I can rotate a model but it seems super limited.
Where are all the tools?
What does it actually do?
It sure ain't no maya, hell it ain't no sculptris even.
I more confused than usual.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

chucky wrote:Well, I can't get it do anything, I can rotate a model but it seems super limited.
Where are all the tools?
What does it actually do?
It sure ain't no maya, hell it ain't no sculptris even.
I more confused than usual.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to fully check this out but I tried importing to CSP 1.8.0 my 727 model from Scareplane (a LightWave object,) and was able to manipulate it with the gizmos that appear after selecting the object.

I didn't immediately see how to paint the surface but I haven't even looked at the new docs yet. From a quick read of the download notes, it doesn't sound like this update adds paint tools. Did I miss something?

To be clear, CSP has always been able to import and manipulate 3D objects. It sounds like what's new is the ability to manipulate and transform materials, which sounds different from painting textures directly on geometry.

But I could be mistaken...I don't know anything more than was mentioned here earlier. I'll try to spend more time with this later if I can.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I think that's it: 1.8.0 adds the ability to transform materials in 3D. It's an important feature but, yeah, that's not anything like object painting. No mention of 3D paint tools in the docs.

Here''s the documentation for the new feature:

https://tips.clip-studio.com/en-us/articles/1200

(Sigh...wish I had time to draw comics again.)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hi Dennis, that ain't the new modeler, that's just plain old clip ( which I use every day - love it).
The modeler is a whole new module with a different UI ( bare bones and ugly).

Using the clip paint with models is super easy and simple, limited yes ( I haven't had that much use for it but it did come in handy on a complicated architectural one time)

The modeler is supposed to allow rigging I think but I'm not sure about painting as the tools aren't there.
:?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oooooooh! Nevermind then. I totally misunderstood what was being discussed. :)
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I wish I could save sequence images in a vector file, as Clip Studio has great brushes and control.
chucky

Post by chucky »

ruscular3d wrote:I wish I could save sequence images in a vector file, as Clip Studio has great brushes and control.
Absolutely
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

You can paint the 3D models in the Modeler, but it's just sending the 3D object's material to Paint to be edited and updated on the fly.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I haven't found any painting tools in the modeler or actually any modelling tools.
Interestingly I found some Japanese videos, one was for another ( much more advanced) version of this modeler that is available in Japanese for the Celsys system.

Skip through and there's a pretty cool trick.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Actually, this one got me off the ground
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

chucky wrote:I haven't found any painting tools in the modeler or actually any modelling tools.
It appears that the modeler is only to add bones, pose, edit materials (by sending them to Paint) and lighting (?), maybe construct models from parts, and change expressions, accessories, etc.. Yeah, no actual modeling.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I just got a new service term agreement from Clip Studio! Haven't look at it yet.

I assume that since it doesn't have any modeling tool that it can only bone segment of the character. didn't see a weight painting tool. I think the major improvement is being able to take a section of the model layer to manipulate them like a turning the wheel of a car. Also to change color of material of the obj. If each section of the model were in their own layers.

What are the robust drawing tool that can do animation and export vectors into MOHO?

I was thinking maybe one could do the animation in MOHO the best they could and then import it to Clip Studio for clean up.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

ruscular3d wrote:What are the robust drawing tool that can do animation and export vectors into MOHO?
I'm guessing that would be Adobe Animate (formerly Flash). My experience with Animate is still very limited though and I've never tried to use it with Moho. Maybe another animator with more Animate experience can confirm.

This is just me but when I need FBF for Moho, I've been using Harmony or Photoshop at work, and TVPaint at home, and always importing the renders as image sequences, not vectors. Is there a reason you need the FBF sequence in vector form? I can understand wanting to have editability within Moho but it might just be easier to edit your drawings in the source program and re-render from there. Moho will automatically pick up the revision when you re-open the project.
I was thinking maybe one could do the animation in MOHO the best they could and then import it to Clip Studio for clean up.
I guess it depends on what you mean by 'clean up'. Moho's animation tends to be pretty clean already, especially when you're using vectors. I'll sometimes bring a Moho animation into After Effects so I can use Puppet Pins or Liquify to add an additional level of deformation to the render. Or, because Moho's 'lighting' tools are limited, I'll sometimes use AE or Fusion to add these effects to Moho renders. I'm not sure how I might use CSP to enhance a Moho render but it does have a lot of interesting tools.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I do use AE and even import the files to MOHO for highlights, and depth 3D stereo render. There are some time when character turn and you have a snap in some keyframe that I give up, and can be quickly fix. But I can see how adding some unique texturing could be done in Clip Studio.

My thoughts was making them seamless style together. It would be heaven if Clip Studio could export sequence vector file, then the blend would be very seamless.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

ruscular3d wrote:My thoughts was making them seamless style together. It would be heaven if Clip Studio could export sequence vector file, then the blend would be very seamless.
Ok, I see, and you're right.

A while back I had to match an FBF I was painting/animating in Harmony to a rig animation I created in Moho within the same scene. I used textured vector brushes on the character in Moho, and found it was tricky to make the Harmony brushes look exactly the same as the Moho brushes, especially since the Harmony footage had to match-cut seamlessly. It was doable but, if I could have applied Moho styles to an imported vector sequence, that might have gone quicker.

Which has me wondering: does anybody know if you can output a vector sequence from Adobe Animate and apply Moho Styles to it in Moho? Thanks in advance for any helpful info.