Krita 4 Released! Open Source Digital Painting and Animation

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

herbert123

Krita 4 Released! Open Source Digital Painting and Animation

Post by herbert123 »

A major release with major new features and improvements: improved vector tools, SVG support, a new text tool, Python scripting and much, much, much more!

Amazing this is open source and free! Get it here: https://krita.org/en/item/krita-4-0-0-released/
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-CY4hmkg_I

Krita for Game Artists Tutorials

New features include...
multi-threaded brushes (!)
New Text Tool
Improved Vector Tools based on SVG
Python Scripting
Improved brush settings dialog
Colorize Mask
New Filters: Height to Normal map, Edge Detection, improved gradient map,
Improved helpers (isometric grid, pixel grid)
Bigger brushes
Saving in background
Masked brushes
Wet edges
Shape Library
A Ton of Fixes
And much much more
dkwroot

Re: Krita 4 Released! Open Source Digital Painting and Anima

Post by dkwroot »

Great update, unfortunately the program still has a lot of issues.

- The program no longer detects the eraser on wacom pens
- It crashes pretty quickly when doing vector artwork
- Wacom pen scroll/pan button still isn't programmable (I'd take scrub zoom or pan. Anything other than increment scroll)
- The text tool is lagging way behind other programs (krita team recognizes this, hopefully big improvements will be made soon)

There are other issues, but some have been improved. I just wish the Krita team would focus more on improving krita's day to day use over adding features.

EDIT:
I got the eraser working again. It turns out if you're on Windows 10, you have to set Krita to use windows Ink. For anyone interested, in Krita just go to:
Settings > Configure Krita > Tablet Settings

Then click on the radio button that says "Windows 8+ Pointer Input". Then click ok and restart Krita. Your eraser should be working again.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Krita 4.1 released today.

The animation timeline received a good upgrade, and is now much friendlier to work with. The new reference images tool is very nice too, as is the option to save and load work sessions.

This release includes the following major new features:
  • A new reference images tool that replaces the old reference images docker.
  • You can now save and load sessions: the set of images and views on images you were working on
  • You can create multi-monitor workspace layouts
  • An improved workflow for working with animation frames
  • An improved animation timeline display
  • Krita can now handle larger animation by buffering rendered frames to disk
  • The color picker now has a mixing option
  • Improved vanishing point assistant — and assistants can be painted with custom colors
    Krita’s scripting module can now be built with Python 2
  • The first part of Ivan Yossi’s Google Summer of Code work on improving the performance of brush masks through vectorization is included as well!

And there are a host of bug fixes, of course, and improvements to the rendering performance and more features. Read the full release notes to discover what’s new in Krita 4.1!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Cool! Will have to check it out.

I sketched with Krita a few months ago and liked it. My daughter made some quick FBF animations with it, and she likes it too. Her one big complaint was that she couldn't see a waveform in the timeline, which made it harder to animate lipsync. Has this been improved?

Edit: just looked at the 4.1 docs, and I guess not. Certainly not a 'deal killer' in an otherwise excellent and free paint program but hopefully, they'll add it in a future build.