Quill

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mrc

Re: Quill

Post by mrc »

funksmaname wrote:I have this software, and it's amazing...
Sorry, I'm too lazy doing my own research this morning, but what hardware do you need / recommend for this?

Marc
You don't agree with the post above? Click here.
www.tricklabor.com/en
chucky

Post by chucky »

VR ready JGI
cartoonmonkey

Post by cartoonmonkey »

I can answer this hardware question. You'll want a very expensive setup, unfortunately. A Core I7 PC with at least a GTX 1070 graphics card and then the headset itself.

Essentially:

$1000 usd PC
$ 600 Graphics Card - 1070 or higher
$500 - 1000 for the headset.

I myself have the Samsung Odyssey Mixed reality headset. It's one of the highest resolution sets out there, but I have to run a sort of a hack called Revive to be able to run Oculus Rift software like Quill. But it works! Sculpting in 3d in Medium has to be experienced to be believed. And the possibility to 3d print your creations at home with a 3d printer is just incredible to me.

New era indeed! I'm not sure of the total usefulness of it all yet, but it's nice to experience VR at the moment, watching it mature. It's already quite far along. Jump into it if you have the cash or the hardware. It's super fun.
C
DK

Post by DK »

I remember playing with VR in the early 2000's when Lightwave supported VR in IE. You could make a model and experience traveling around in it via keyboard commands. Writing for a well known magazine in those days had it's perks. I reviewed a software package called Reel Motion that allowed you to even import your 3D worlds and drive around them in vehicles. Fun stuff but it really never went anywhere. All the physics that went into this stuff was eventually swallowed up by the gaming industry. Quill looks fun but time will tell if it finds a real world use or not. Personally I think holographics will eventually sink all of this hardware based tech.

Cheers
D.k
chucky

Post by chucky »

I'll be waiting for some nice 4k lightweight glasses , but I have to say when I played that resident evil VR game ( that's rubbish in 2d) I was totally sold. I played other stuff and it was Meh ok, but that piece really proved what is possible for user experience. Of course that's a game, but it felt like a real place. I would assume sculpting for 3d printout would be just great, I'd love to be able to load virtual workshops too that way my artists garret vould have a different view. 8)