Tracy

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nucleus

Tracy

Post by Nucleus »

small goth chick with a big attitude.
Last edited by Nucleus on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Queso"
Genete

Post by Genete »

What I like:
- The ability to give volume to the body parts.
- The well known how to draw human bodies.

What I don't like:
- Overall proportions
- Mouth - nose position.
- skin color. I like it a little less pink.

7.0 over 10 :D
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

Hehe. thanks Genete. still working on characters form before i get into the animation part.
"Queso"
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

edit: revised the mouth. like her nose the way it is. ;)
"Queso"
madis

Post by madis »

*cough* lesbian *cough* :P
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

you wish lol.
"Queso"
BunyanFilms

Post by BunyanFilms »

I would like to see the iris of her eyes somewhat bigger. It is very un-natural to have so much white showing.

Also her arms are a bit short unless she is meant to be a dwarf.

I also like the modelling work you've done.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I agree with BunyanFilms about the eyes.

For years I used to love drawing small pupils even though most people thought my characters looked psychotic.

Artistically I didn't see what everyone was complaining about, although mentally I was aware that something wasn't right, especially when I drew the front view of a character looking straight on. Nevertheless I hated drawing realistic eye proportions, they looked ugly and ruined my characters. The eyes are the most important part of the face, I didn't want to mess with that.

But after a few years I finally got the pupils back to normal(they should be slightly covered by both the upper and lower eyelids), although maybe that was due to a natural shift in artistic sensibilities rather than a deliberate effort to change my ways. Small eyeballs work fine on cartoony type characters, but look strange on more realistic designs. It was hard to change because I couldn't make that distinction.

Every now and then I'll see an artist that draws small pupils the way I used to. It's good to kinow that I'm not alone, and I'm not sure what causes us to draw this way, because not many artists seem to have this problem, but all I can say is:

The character looks psychotic.

I think the overall quality of the artwork is pretty good, although I can't tell if the extremely stocky body proportion was done on purpose or not.

Anyway sorry about rambling. The eyeball thing hit close to home.

Nice work overall.
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

BunyanFilms wrote:I would like to see the iris of her eyes somewhat bigger. It is very un-natural to have so much white showing.

Also her arms are a bit short unless she is meant to be a dwarf.

I also like the modelling work you've done.
thanks. :)
as for her anatomy,
human arms do not extend any lower than the upper thighs else, shed look like a primate. she is indeed a short girl and her arms are slightly flexed. her chubby arms might give out that short look as she is indeed a strong tomboyish type... yes, she beats up boys. :) as for the eyes, the small iris was indeed intentional as she is a small aggressive type on the exterior. bigger iris would make her look cutesy which is not what i intend. she is after all a cartoon character.
"Queso"
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

DarthFurby wrote:I agree with BunyanFilms about the eyes.

For years I used to love drawing small pupils even though most people thought my characters looked psychotic.

Artistically I didn't see what everyone was complaining about, although mentally I was aware that something wasn't right, especially when I drew the front view of a character looking straight on. Nevertheless I hated drawing realistic eye proportions, they looked ugly and ruined my characters. The eyes are the most important part of the face, I didn't want to mess with that.

But after a few years I finally got the pupils back to normal(they should be slightly covered by both the upper and lower eyelids), although maybe that was due to a natural shift in artistic sensibilities rather than a deliberate effort to change my ways. Small eyeballs work fine on cartoony type characters, but look strange on more realistic designs. It was hard to change because I couldn't make that distinction.

Every now and then I'll see an artist that draws small pupils the way I used to. It's good to kinow that I'm not alone, and I'm not sure what causes us to draw this way, because not many artists seem to have this problem, but all I can say is:

The character looks psychotic.

I think the overall quality of the artwork is pretty good, although I can't tell if the extremely stocky body proportion was done on purpose or not.

Anyway sorry about rambling. The eyeball thing hit close to home.

Nice work overall.

I hear ya.
we all have our style on how we envision out characters. some eyes are big some are small. just a matter of personal taste to me. Meagan irises are infact large.
"Queso"
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

"Queso"
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

"Queso"
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I like your artwork and if you like small irises then that's good enough reason to stick with it, just keep in mind that characters will generally have a shocked, blank or menacing stare about them, and drawing in this style over an extended period of time will desensitize your ability to make that observation.

For semi-realistic to realistic characters, the iris should be slightly covered by the upper and lower eyelids, but that is by no means a rule.
Kadoogan

Post by Kadoogan »

The shading and highlighting of your characters is really nice. Your style is definitely in the "How to Draw" Christopher Hart type look - has an uncluttered elegance to it.

The following comments are taking into account that this is just a cartoon character...

I find the small eyes and irises an unnecessary distraction. But if that is your stylistic choice, so be it.

"Tracy" definitely has some proportion issues body-wise. Basically if it doesn't look right....it probably isn't. If it looks unnatural - such as the arms on Tracy (which look like baby arms - the left arm doesn't look like it has room for a bicep...something is throwing the perspective off on both arms) and the comparatively skinny calve muscles (in relation to the rest of her body parts) then it should be fixed.

So hard to get away with drawing more realistic human characters...pretty much why I avoid it. :)
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

great observation. her arms do look like hat of an infants. i think its mainly at the wrist/hand area. just too flush with the rest as well as hands being too stumpy. shes supposed to be chunky, but delicate at the same time as females are. I will correct her arms soon enough. thanks to all for spotting these problem area. her eyes may have a bit of an upgrade too. BTW, Tracy is a bit of a psycho. :)

PS: looked up Christopher Hart. Awesome. :)
-Gustavo.
"Queso"