My first Anime Studio animations

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DarkMProductions

My first Anime Studio animations

Post by DarkMProductions »

Hello I'm somewhat new to Anime Studio and so here are a few tests that I did with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCHZYHtihy4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-8ASFnSwEQ

Now here is an animation project that I've been working on for a little over a year now, and so not all of the shots are animated with Anime Studio. But I used it more for touch ups and such, and its helped me tremendously. So heres the trailer to my big project.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6517800WB8DjXKz
tonym

Post by tonym »

Cool. I like the hair-blowing one.

What are your thoughts on mixing 3D environments with 2D characters? Obviously, you don't have a problem with it. I guess I'm wondering why you decided to do things that way.

Good luck with the big project!
ToonLifeOnline

Post by ToonLifeOnline »

DarkMProductions

tonym wrote:Cool. I like the hair-blowing one.

What are your thoughts on mixing 3D environments with 2D characters? Obviously, you don't have a problem with it. I guess I'm wondering why you decided to do things that way.

Good luck with the big project!
The main reason I chose to have 3D backgrounds was because I suck at drawing or painting them, and I can do more with the camera with 3D than with 2D.

And thanks for the luck, I just hope that I can finish it in time for the film festival that I want to enter it in.
tonym

Post by tonym »

DarkMProductions wrote:The main reason I chose to have 3D backgrounds was because I suck at drawing or painting them, and I can do more with the camera with 3D than with 2D.
Ah, makes sense.

However, IMHO, the downside of having awesome 3D backgrounds mixed with 2D characters versus sucky 2D backgrounds mixed with 2D characters is that if the 3D backgrounds are more awesome than the characters, some of your audience will be looking at the characters and frequently thinking, "Dang, I wish those guys were in 3D, too!"

Yeh, I was thinking that.

But, who knows, if the movie was gripping, I might totally forget about the stylistic difference between character and BG after a few minutes.
DarkMProductions

tonym wrote:
DarkMProductions wrote:The main reason I chose to have 3D backgrounds was because I suck at drawing or painting them, and I can do more with the camera with 3D than with 2D.
Ah, makes sense.

However, IMHO, the downside of having awesome 3D backgrounds mixed with 2D characters versus sucky 2D backgrounds mixed with 2D characters is that if the 3D backgrounds are more awesome than the characters, some of your audience will be looking at the characters and frequently thinking, "Dang, I wish those guys were in 3D, too!"

Yeh, I was thinking that.

But, who knows, if the movie was gripping, I might totally forget about the stylistic difference between character and BG after a few minutes.
Yeah I can totally see that, and to somewhat counter this I made most of the backgrounds out of focus. As such pretty much the whole shot is focused in on what I want you to look at, so I don't know if this works or not as I have yet to show it to a test audience. But hopefully they wont notice too much, and just enjoy the story.

Oh and another reason I was temped to do 3D background was because of Titan A.E. by Don Bluth, where a lot of the backgrounds in that were in 3D with 2D characters. And that worked out pretty well. But thanks for the heads up.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Thanks for mentioning Titan A.E. I was trying to think of an example of a movie that did what you're doing with 3D/2D and was drawing a blank.

Titan A.E. does a great job of linking BG and FG via colors, IMO.
DarkMProductions

Well I found another way to blend the characters with the background more, what I did was that in the early part of the movie (where most of it takes place) the characters are on this rather desolate planet. So what I did to enhance that feeling image wise was to town down the colors to almost black and white, and as a slight side effect the backgrounds fit in more with the characters, so it was a happy accident.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I've been thinking about your style for a couple of days, and it seems like your idea is a good one. The thing that stuck out for me, was that the 3d objects all seemed too shiny. So by backing that off to almost your black and white that should help.

I'd like to see what you come up with.

jorgy