New hand rig results

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Onionskin,

Welcome to the forum.
I use a tool I made (you can find it in the scripting section, "Forum member scripts") that allows you to select which kind of shape you want to create before creating it, instead of having to make the shape and then uncheck either fill or outline in the style window. The only other reason I can think you might have trouble is if you are trying to create the fill and outline shapes using the exact same points. All of the outline is made as one shape, that way when you make the fill shapes you aren't trying to override the shape those points already have. :wink:

Larpon,

I somehow missed your edited post. It's great to see some one else using this. I'm still working on the head.

The child with the hollow eyes is a bit creepy. :shock: :wink:
Sage

Post by Sage »

Synth,

Hmm I think you just answered for Onionskin what I was having issues with.

I will try to explain as best as I can.

Let's refer to one knuckle of a finger being it is only 3 main shapes, but 6 total with outline. Are you saying that there is really 16 points for the 2 circles and the main size, and the outline is another 16 points?

What I was doing was using just the 4 points on a circle for outline and fill. This is wrong to do then?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Sage,

For one finger segment it is three fills and one outline (for a total of four shapes instead of six). I'm assuming you are trying to create the outlines like you would for the individual fills. That won't work.

I select all of the points of the finger segment to create the one outline. Like I told Onion, trying to use the same points to create a second shape doesn't work, and isn't needed. And no need to add more points to the circles (unless you need them to define the shape you're going for).

:wink:
Sage

Post by Sage »

synth,

Thanks that explains it perfect. Only one question with the 3 fills, I know two are the circles, is the last, a total of the 2 circles and the center, like a Popsicle stick shape? Or is it just the center concave shape between the circles?

Sorry for being so frustrating on the questions, for some reason I can figure out the DK body turns fine and some other things. Just the shapes on your method has thrown me.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Originally I did them as two circles and then the middle shape, but then I thought about fill effects, so I changed it to the two circles and the 'popsicle' shape. As discussed earlier, this would allow for more contiguous shapes on the 90 degree turn model.

Basically anything that will result in maintaining those cross-sections will work. I haven't yet worked out all the issues of using fill effects (or even better, the global lighting trick). For my own projects, I may just use the fills on separate layers to mask-in contiguous fills with effects.

I don't mind the questions at all. I'm just glad people are finding this little bit useful. I still have a long way to go with this.

Onionskin

Post by Onionskin »

synthsin75 wrote:Onionskin,

Welcome to the forum.
I use a tool I made (you can find it in the scripting section, "Forum member scripts")

Thank you sinthsin75, :D

I have that tool you made for a long time but I never use it because I didn't know how. Now I find it very, very, very useful.

Happy to be member on this forum
larpon

Post by larpon »

I somehow missed your edited post. It's great to see some one else using this. I'm still working on the head.
Synth,

As you could might see in the first vid the flexi-binding and the fact that I'm trying to keep the belly "large", had me forced to move some of the controlled bones.. which is complicating the process a bit and not keeping it clean like with your point binding...
Other than that auto/flexi-binding the torso still works pretty well for me on one shape for the body

I'm very curious to see if you can accomplish head turns with this technique... I tried for circa 20 min. but ended up doing it with switch layers... (Couldn't, at all, work out how to do the snout)

So.. Best of luck :)
The child with the hollow eyes is a bit creepy.
She scares the **** out of me :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Actually, a snouted head would probably be easier to do than the realistic human head I've been working on. Oops, actually that may have to be done somewhat like the feet (which I haven't posted yet).

No, on second thought (or is it third by now?), I think the basic shape of a snouted head should be pretty easy. Give me some time and I'll see if I can work up an example. Of course details like eyes and ears are still going to be a bit longer.

larpon

Post by larpon »

Quite amazing.. :)

I have a feeling I'll be watching this topic for a good amount of time to come
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?zgbp1juejxu

Here you go, Larpon. It's just the basic shape, but you get the idea. :wink:
larpon

Post by larpon »

Wow... that was quick!

Now I won't be getting any serious work done to night :P

Thanks a bunch! I'm opening the file now :)

--edit

Synth... That's just... crazy!
I'm still astonished by the simplicity of this method...
My biggest problem right now is that I have to change the way I usually "see" 2D models.. Really a nice piece of idea you've come up with here..
I think your entitling yourself to do a good few hours of tutorial writing once you've assembled all the parts in this method hehe

Thanks again for sharing this
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'm glad you like it. I always thought that most of the current techniques for 2.5D were way too complicated for most people to brave. I know I thought that at one time. That's why I decided to seriously avoid layer scripts and complex bone constraints. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but they're not too accessible to newer users.

larpon

Post by larpon »

Indeed all that can end up being a real pain

Have you got any plans for being able to stick details to the rigs, like eyes, hair, etc...?
...or is that going to be the synthsin75 2.9D rig method version 2? :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I have ideas for all of those details. I'm hoping I can keep it fairly simple with the details, but I'm pretty sure the head, with eyes and mouth and stuff, is probably going to rival the rest of the body on bone count.

We'll see. :wink:
larpon

Post by larpon »

hehe yeah, the complete blue screen of bones to rule them all!