Karate guy takes opponents in any direction (WIP)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

super8mm

Karate guy takes opponents in any direction (WIP)

Post by super8mm »

The challenge:
Animating a human character from head to toe with only 2D vector art that can be posed in any direction with just one bone rig with no animated point displacement, and without the use of any scripts.

I've just started animating it so it's not very long but so far so good and I see no reason why it would not work for the entire animation.

Took many tries and attempts to get it to work but it was worth the effort. Now that I have one done to rig up another will be simple as rigging any character for just one pose and would only take a small percentage more time to get it to move with a 360 degree range. This technique will save me a ton of time animating.

http://vimeo.com/7192111

It all started here:
viewtopic.php?p=82202#82202
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

For this kind of thing I think you can get away with 5 views. Maybe even 3:

FRONT 3/4
BACK 3/4

(You can flip the views to make a full rotation.)

You could add straight on FRONT and BACK views if you want to.

Otherwise, you can use the same hands and heads for the FRONT and FRONT 3/4 views, same with the BACK 3/4 and BACK views.

Then just switch between those views.

You could even perhaps leave out the PROFILE view entirely, but you might want to keep it in if you really need him looking 90 degrees straight, or to make the turns smoother.
super8mm

Post by super8mm »

I have a total of 8 sides with 3 that are flipped, the profile view, back profile, facing profile are flipped so that makes 3 + facing and back for a total of 5.

I'm just wondering if using one bone rig for all 8 sides is something I innovated or has it already been done?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Intriguing. I'll have to try this on my next rig.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

One guy in the office nicknamed me Bruce Lee, but not because I know Karate or anything like that. Nice work! Personally I'm not a switch layer kidna guy, but it's actually a pretty good way to animate for certain things(your rig being a perfect example.)
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

super8mm wrote:I have a total of 8 sides with 3 that are flipped, the profile view, back profile, facing profile are flipped so that makes 3 + facing and back for a total of 5.
Thanks for explanation...sounds pretty simple actually. Of course the problem with flipping is that you can't interpolate the points. It does this weird Paper Mario type turnaround. I end up reshaping to match the flipped view (tedious!).
I'm just wondering if using one bone rig for all 8 sides is something I innovated or has it already been done?
I'm not sure, although I find it hard to believe someone hasn't done it. Yours is certainly comprehesive. Genete suggested the opposite, namely:
Multiple skeletons in same switch layer
Do you think you could post a slow-motion version so we can see the changes better?
DarthFurby wrote:One guy in the office nicknamed me Bruce Lee, but not because I know Karate or anything like that.
Heh, now you have to tell us why he called you that... ;)
super8mm

Post by super8mm »

Thanks for explanation...sounds pretty simple actually. Of course the problem with flipping is that you can't interpolate the points. It does this weird Paper Mario type turnaround. I end up reshaping to match the flipped view (tedious!).

The flipping is only done at frame zero as a shortcut to building a mirror side of a character. I use no interpolation of points as part of the animation only bone manipulation.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

neeters_guy wrote:
DarthFurby wrote:One guy in the office nicknamed me Bruce Lee, but not because I know Karate or anything like that.
Heh, now you have to tell us why he called you that... ;)
Kind of anticlimactic, but Bruce and I have the same last name. Of course, sometimes I'll go "Wataaah!" so maybe that helped cement the nick.