First pass at dog animation

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AmigaMan

First pass at dog animation

Post by AmigaMan »

This is a first pass and needs a lot more work yet but thought I'd post it. The dog is meant to be running away scared and slipping a bit as he goes. The final version will have the camera a lot closer following the dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLtnprAD-IA
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

Reminds me a lot of watching my dog run on the linoleum floor.

I look forward to seeing the more polished animation but I think what you have is a great start. Wanted to ask if you plan to make him slide a bit more when he changes direction? I think it would help to give him a little "moon walk" slide before he faces away from the camera.
Hi animation world.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Looking great so far! I'm interested to see how you will convey his fear. He's moving around so much that it may be hard to read his facial expression, but on the other hand, it's a great opportunity to animate expressive body movements.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Wanted to ask if you plan to make him slide a bit more when he changes direction? I think it would help to give him a little "moon walk" slide before he faces away from the camera.
I may do. That's the part of the animation that I'm least satisfied with at the moment so I will see where it takes me :D
I'm interested to see how you will convey his fear. He's moving around so much that it may be hard to read his facial expression, but on the other hand, it's a great opportunity to animate expressive body movements.
There's a close up shot of the dogs face before this one showing his fear so I think it will be clear why he is running off. I will change his expression and, don't forget, the camera will be closer on the final thing.

Thanks for the useful comments.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Nice work again, AmigaMan. Thanks for sharing.
Just something to add, last 2 or 3 turns doesn't look too smooth for my taste, maybe you could tweak that a little :roll:
But, obviously, maybe it's just me.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Durand

Post by Durand »

As usual, great work... Maybe the ears should flop around a bit?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I really like your character designs. I had the same reaction as selgin though, it seems to pop a bit (although you did say this was a first pass). You could try that trick where you trace the points of the movement (of the head for example) to see if it flows in a smooth arc.

Looking forward to see how you refine this.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I've now had chance to do a second pass at the animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jicFIN_DPg

Blocked in the ears and tail. Scaled bones for squash and stretch and to make the sliding turn near the end of the shot more fluid and convincing.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Nicely done. That slide really helps the turn and the volume of the the pup seems to be more consistent too.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks for the comments.

Animation pass 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF4AZqjhTxU

Adjusted spacing here and there to improve flow of the action. Animated tongue and collar.
gleeful

Post by gleeful »

I am not sure exactly what improvements you made, but version #3 is looking real good.

The pup's movements are much easier to understand. The slide at the final turn looks very nice.

It is instructive and helpful to see this work in progress. Thanks for sharing it.
What if?
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Nice work amigaman, i enjoy a lot watching your works :D thought this is a very short video :shock: .