Warrior Scar and First Animated Comedy Images

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

PARKER

Warrior Scar and First Animated Comedy Images

Post by PARKER »

I introduce you Warrior Scar.

I have in mind to start working on an animated microseries soon, actually the episode 1 script(14 pages) is ready and this would be the main character:

Last edited by PARKER on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

Nice character Parker! I like his expression! Happy to hear you want to start animating something yours...just a quick observation, did you check proportions? Don't know if I'm right but there could be something wrong...
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

This is my personal design and i admit im not an expert at character desing and i dont consider myself one.

This is a cartoon not a comic so proportions dont have to be perfect, just remember the proportions of your favorite cartoons, dexter, the size of his head, johnny bravo, the size of his legs, and many others, of course their proportions are totally wrong, they are cartoon.
Paul Mesken

Post by Paul Mesken »

Uolter wrote:Don't know if I'm right but there could be something wrong...
Cover the elbows with a pencil and it looks alright, the elbow section (actually, the upper arm) needs to be adjusted for the way the hands are turned.

As for the character, I think it's some kind of samurai (or even ronin). I think a stronger statement can be made with the character. How about taking some cues from old Japanes woodblock prints.

Observe the way the faces are made. The eyes Scar has are quite close to that of typical woodblock figures but the eye brows are not (in woodblock prints they are very high set).

Also, observe the way the feet and hands are drawn. The toes always seem to dig into the earth and each toe and finger seems to have a life of its own. And look at the way the swords are attached, it's better to have the sword as a diagonal going behind the back of the body than just hanging alongside the leg.

I don't know of any animation that has Japanes woodblock print characters, it might be worth checking it out.

Flesh out your character completely before committing to animation. Once you start the animation, you're stuck with your character.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

As i said before this is my personal design and actually i dont want my character to look like a regular samurai.
Thanks for your suggestions i appreciate them.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

I will be posting more views and other characters tomorrow.
Last edited by PARKER on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Hey Parker,

I like your character, can't wait to see him in action :-) I'm a big fan of Samurai Jack and it's style, so looking forward to seeing the first episode!

Of course it's down to own your stylistic choices, but maybe you could try having darker flesh toned colours for the lines around the chin/jaw and the lines that define the fingers and toes.

If anything just for experimentation :D If you do, please post!
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

If everything go right i could have the animation ready soon, i will try to have it ready in two weeks, the script has 14 pages, being 1 minute per page as an average, that would be an animation of about 10 to 14 minutes, who knows, its hard to say now, to be more accurated i would have to read the script and imagine every scene and stuff, anyway, i think i will post the first 2 minutes first in a few days an then i will keep working on the rest.

Thanks for the suggestions and yes, you guessed well, it will have a lot of sword action like in samurai jack and other popular samurai shows :)
Paul Mesken

Post by Paul Mesken »

I don't know whether the 1-minute-per-page thing goes for animation as well but in any case : make a storyboard first.

This is one of my (still to make) "Hiking Trail of Blood", a typical slasher-in-the-woods thing. These are very simple drawings (note the 3 by 4 rectangles, that's the screen aspect ratio). There are 28 of these in total and they were finished in 2 days, so it's not a lot of work. They help to organize the work and a lot of things can be worked out in them (angles, camera moves, composition, etc.). In live action movies they are used as well. Although not every director uses them for the entire movie, they are always used for CGI sequences (and CGI is more or less like animation, it's hand made and every frame is expensive in terms of work).
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Yes, i know storyboards can be useful and time saving, i will try to make it.
Thanks.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Yuntao:

I like this design more so i may have this character as the main character Warrior Scar instead inf the first one.
Last edited by PARKER on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aleXean

Post by aleXean »

Very nice stuff, will you use point motion or bone animation? Or both?
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

I will use frame by frame with switch layers, it will be the best for the kind of animation i want to achieve.

Last edited by PARKER on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
aleXean

Post by aleXean »

Sweet I can't wait to see some animation!
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Also i think im going to let you all guys read the 14 pages script before i have the animation ready, it will be available in a few days :)