Kung Fu Master

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Kung Fu Master

Post by GCharb »

Hello everyone.

I have been wanting to make a Kung-Fu animation for some time and I decided to actually make one.

The idea is to push Anime Studio as much as I can animation wise.

Here is the character I made for the animation.

I should be starting to work on the animation tomorrow morning.
Last edited by GCharb on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

looking good! good luck Gilles, look forward to seeing progress.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Thanks, spent 2 days watching Shaolin Kung Fu documentaries, these peoples are completely and utterly nuts! :)

One was hanging a boulder to his privates and was walking around, to make them stronger, or they hang themselves to strengthens the neck, completely nuts I tell ya! :shock:

I may work on it a bit more, then make a better rig, as I have some quite insane moves I wanna try! :)
nifikail

Post by nifikail »

Looks awesome, just like Jet-li in my opinion :shock:
I hope your movie will be as good as Avatar: Legend of Aang or even more :D
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Nice looking character! Good luck with your attempt.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Thanks guys, should be fun at least! :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Kung fu in AS?
That exactly the kind of thing it is hopeless at.
Talking heads and wiggly pictures sure, but full body animation with foreshortening limbs and spinning torsos?
I can't wait to see GCharb, good luck!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

chucky wrote:Kung fu in AS?
That exactly the kind of thing it is hopeless at.
Talking heads and wiggly pictures sure, but full body animation with foreshortening limbs and spinning torsos?
I can't wait to see GCharb, good luck!
Never said it would be easy, but I am pretty sure that I can do good with it, with a bit of elbow grease and hard work!

I really want to see how far I can push this application, if it ain't good enough for me, I will have to go hand drawn!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

being inspired by the recently posted point motion animation examples by the chinese user who's name is a bunch of numbers (that's not like 'the user that shall not be named' but I can't remember the specific numbers lol) I recently animated a librarian on top of a ladder turning and placing a book into a shelf completely with point motion.

I did first rough out the timing and poses with PAP and then used a script Wes from the other forum made for me to import it as a guide. Ive been so focused on bones, mainly because i rarely PLAN what I want to do which often results in rigid fixed bone based movements, that I was thoroughly impressed by how three dimensional things can be just by point motion. The librarian only had one bone for head tilt and had a long pony tail that was boned for swinging around - although she remained otherwise largly stationary I got a really nice effect of the arm bending away from camera and pushing in the book.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you plan, and aren't confined to using fixed bone rigs all the time, you can achieve pretty much anything.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

funksmaname wrote:I guess what I'm saying is, if you plan, and aren't confined to using fixed bone rigs all the time, you can achieve pretty much anything.
Exactly!
I believe that point animation is what makes ASP so special, no other app I have tried has anything like it.

I animate with passes, usually a rough bone pass, then a refined one, then I may use switch layers, then a rough point animation pass and a second, more subtle pass.

This is how the used to work in the "old day", and it worked for them, so it should for me.

Never been a fan of complicated 2.5 rigs, and I find that peoples usually over think that stuff, some even make an habit of intellectualizing everything, while in fact it is only basic principles used in any ways that suits the job at hand!

ASP has the tools to do pretty much anything in my opinion and the only thing that it really misses, is a tool allowing to do point animation on top of a bunch of layers, that would make ASP absolutely unbeatable!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

the thing is when you have no plan and no idea of what you want to do, spending time trying ot build 2.5D rigs gives you the hope that someday it will be able to do everything for you... unfortunately, that's not how 2D animation works and you really end up overly complicating your life.

At the point where you have a clear idea, and you sketch it, often you dont even need a rig, or rig just specific portions to bones for specific tasks - which is why it's so hard to teach how to rig... how a character is constructed is inseperable to what it has to do for a given action, there is no perfect (or right) way to rig. You just have to get the job done is as little fuss as possible.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

funksmaname wrote:the thing is when you have no plan and no idea of what you want to do, spending time trying ot build 2.5D rigs gives you the hope that someday it will be able to do everything for you... unfortunately, that's not how 2D animation works and you really end up overly complicating your life.

At the point where you have a clear idea, and you sketch it, often you dont even need a rig, or rig just specific portions to bones for specific tasks - which is why it's so hard to teach how to rig... how a character is constructed is inseperable to what it has to do for a given action, there is no perfect (or right) way to rig. You just have to get the job done is as little fuss as possible.
I agree, which is why I rig as simple as possible then do point animation on top to smooth things out, this way no matter what I plan to do, the workflow is basically the same, so for me it's a no brainer that simple is the best way to go!

others may feel more comfortable relying on a 2.5 rig, me I try to rely on plain old knowledge and my ability to put it to work!

You can see that way of thinking in my old Homer animation, only two images, and no matter what peoples might say, it is usable animation done in the simplest of ways.

For those who have not seen the tutorial I made on it.

http://gcharb2d.blogspot.com/2011/07/he ... ogues.html
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Interesting discussion going on here.

udd
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Just draw a 3q view of the character, will try to spend the day on it tomorrow!

Last edited by GCharb on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

New version where I worked on the arms perspective, the chest and the back.

Last edited by GCharb on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.