2.5D (2.9D) Hybrid Hand "final"

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lychee

2.5D (2.9D) Hybrid Hand "final"

Post by Lychee »

Hi guys and girls.

Sat Jul 20, 2013

Here it is, the final version of my smart boned hand.
I finaly done it with an other technique and it seems to do the job very well.
It now use vectors strokes for the fingers and real 3d objects for the palm, and all of that move in "real" 3 dimensions.
My problem with the old technique is i had to do much of the work manually, as the swicths for example.
Now switches are made automatically with the option "sort layers by depth" and "true distance".

Play with my file here, clear the 'Control' timeline, use the bones and remade the animation as you liked.
I would soon make a tutorial so that you understand how i created this hand, or so simply look at my file.

Tue Jun 04, 2013

Has i promised here is the file of my "hand prototype".
I've made the rotation and the switchs on the mainlines (depth and layers), and if you touch the master bone who control the rotation, you will destroy all the "programmation" i've done.
You can have fun playing with the bones who control the fingers, but if you want to be free to manipulate the entire hand, delete the mainline and the switchs contained in the fingers layers.
But after you'll must recreate all the switchs, and trust me, it will be a nightmare. ^^

Next step : automate the switchs with the smartbone.

Sun May 26, 2013

I work hard on a complicated smart bone construction, a fully manipulable hand.
I think i'm close to the end, but (Huston) i have a problem when i want to pass some layers in front of or behind some others.
Here is a video of my hand (not a "smart boned" version) :

I will share the file when this one will be more advanced, and for you to help me fix bugs.
Last edited by Lychee on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gav

Re: 2.5D Hand (work in progress)

Post by Gav »

I really like that top work
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

When AS9 was released, Mike Clifton told he would like to add more channels to be controlled by smart bones. If we are lucky enough, maybe we will be able to control animated layer order in some close future.
Meanwhile, with 9.2 you can control layer translation. So, if you check "sort layers by depth" (in the bone layer proprieties, "Depth sort" tab) you can move the layers in Z. Using very little values (like 0.01 or -0.01), you will be able to animate the visualization order of the layers.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Thanks Selgin for your advices, but it's exactly that i made.
I've créated two smart bone actions on the same bone to make the hand rotation (action X and X 2), one for a side and the other for the opposite side of the rotation, and i played with little increments of distences (0.0005, 0.0010...) to make the switchs.
The problem is that the X action is disrupted by X 2 and when i turn the hand some fingers go too far.
So i've looked in the smart bone actions and all the "program" of distences that i've made was not false, unlike the mainline that shown me some errors, things i did never done.
I deleted X 2 to see, and strangely the X action work perfectly.

Like i said, i will share a proper version of my file, and perhaps you will see what's wrong.
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Hi

I've updated my post so look at the first message, i've put my AS file, have fun with it.
rocky53204

Post by rocky53204 »

Follow with interest.
shift

Post by shift »

This is pretty cool
Lychee

Re: 2.5D (2.9D) Hybrid Hand "final"

Post by Lychee »

Tadaaaa !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vnlkkwzo192t ... 0Final.zip

Here is the final version of my 2.5D hand (more close to 3D in fact, that's why the subtitle is now 2.9D)
Enjoy and let me know what you think about it.

My objective is to create a fully manipulable 2.5D character and my next challenge is the head.
Just look at my R&D about it here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24443

Regards.
thatjoshguy

Post by thatjoshguy »

any chance you could re-upload this? The dropbox link is broken, and i'm dying to figure out how you did this!
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

I wish I could download that file also!
Waan

Post by Waan »

That looks fantastic. Was just playing around trying to build a nice hand rig. This is much more impressive though.
Unfortunate the files aren't available now.