New Animated Comedy Series - Thoughts/Opinions Wanted

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

HangmanSi

Re: New Animated Comedy Series - Thoughts/Opinions Wanted

Post by HangmanSi »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnyGkQE2Clw

Ok, so I've just finished uploading the new video, and it was indeed a Monty Python sketch. I've incorporated some stuff from the feedback that I've received from the first couple of videos I've posted. Firstly, the character's head bobs while he is talking, and again I have to agree that this gives him a bit more life and stops him from looking so static when talking to the camera.
94253 wrote:One minor tip regarding the animation is the noses. You may want to flip the heads, or at least draw a nose pointed the other way. When they were on the couch, even though their eyes pointed toward whom they were speaking to, their noses did not. That little detail would make the scenes look more natural.
Secondly is the character's nose. Honestly, I'm in two minds as to how much this adds to the animation, so I'd be really interested to think what you guys think about it. It was simple enough to do, I've put the normal and reversed versions in a switch file, just at some points it felt like the nose was flipping all over the place. I don't know, maybe i'm just obsessing over it a bit too much.

Either way, I think the animation as a whole is definitely moving in the right direction when compared to some of my earlier stuff.

For anyone that hasn't seen it, the original Python sketch is here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2eUopy9sd8
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I would simply stick with the nose pointed in the same direction if you don't plan on a head turn view. If there is no head turn at all, the nose swapping is distracting. I think a slight head turn every once in a while would help but isn't absolutely needed.

I don't mean a side view or even a "full 3/4" turn, just something subtle that makes the head look different, look like it's turned. The nose by itself isn't working. When he looks at stuff, the eye movement ALONE is actually funny and works. To break up the monotony of only the eyes moving, he could turn his head occasionally.

Just a thought.

Post by 94253 »

Yeah; when the nose is the only thing moving it looks awkward.

When I made the suggestion I was referring to scenes where Character 1 would be speaking to Character 2, but Character 1's nose was pointed away from Character 2 the entire time. For that entire scene, have the nose pointed at Character 2 the entire time, instead of away. If the eyes occasionally look the other way that's fine, but keep the nose on Character 2.
So it will remain static for the duration of the scene, but the direction it points will be different from scene to scene.

I didn't mean you should actively animate the nose with the eyes. Sorry if I was not so clear with my suggestion before. I still believe having a switch would be good for your series, but I don't think the nose should be a feature that is actively moving.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

HangmanSi wrote:I'm in two minds as to how much this adds to the animation
Not much. It kind of looked odd, to be honest. Otherwise the animation worked well.
~Danimal
HangmanSi

Post by HangmanSi »

This is a quick 6 second test video showing the head flipping from side to side. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcQMlLMsOs
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

That works for me!

It's the subtle whole head movement that gives a bit more variety to the movement. You may eventually want full side or 3/4 head views down the road (when the show makes a bazillion dollars you can hire minions to draw those side views while you sail on your yacht ;) )This works much better than just the nose changing by itself.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

It definitely gets the point across that his head is turning, yes. Use it sparingly though. Most people don't go cranking their head around a million times a minute, usually we sit pretty still, in fact.
~Danimal

Post by 94253 »

HangmanSi wrote:This is a quick 6 second test video showing the head flipping from side to side. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcQMlLMsOs
Bingo; that's what I'm talking about. :) Just keep the head facing toward whomever the character is talking to.
HangmanSi

Post by HangmanSi »

Wow, I didn't realise how long it had been since I last posted something on this forum. I took some time out to work on the show that I had created, City Boy Blues, and make some changes to it based on feedback that I was hearing. The new incarnation of the show has removed around 95% of the swearing, as looking back in hindsight the constant f-bombs gave the whole thing an aggressive tone that was somewhat overbearing. The darker, and more offensive, jokes have also been watered down to hopefully make the show acceptable to a wider audience in the long term, and the overall humour focusses more on silliness than anything else. While I'm sure there will still be plenty of people that don't get it, the overall product is something I feel way happier with than what it was before.

From an animation point of view, I have incorporated several things that were learned over the course of this topic. The two key additions being the bobbing of the heads when talking, and the heads flipping from side to side in relation to the direction they are looking at. The characters still face the front and bob around like puppets on a stick, but I like it the way it is. I tried doing the characters at a 3/4 angle, but I don't think it looked right.

But for what its worth I'd like the thank the people that gave me those tips and ideas. The show and the animation is a lot better for it. More videos will come over the next few weeks/months, so anyone who watches and likes the stuff, it would be great if you could share and pass it on. And those that don't like it, well, don't worry I won't ask you to watch any more.

Check out the new video here (3 minutes in length)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Ci3uwj3mQ
HangmanSi

Post by HangmanSi »

Forgot to say, Forever Delayed Productions has been re-branded to Tabony Animation, with a new logo and colour scheme. The old videos at the top of this topic have been taken down.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Wow! What an improvement in both animation and content! I'm also glad to see the "I don't want to get my hair wet" gag still made it in. I'd still love to see something explaining who these guys are and why they hang out together, but I'll keep watching for sure.
~Danimal
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I wonder if that "bobbing around" could be emphasized to a better effect. As with most stylistic choices, it's about all or nothing. Right now it seems a bit undecided between a real stick puppet feeling, and a lazy just-drag-that-body-around.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
HangmanSi

Post by HangmanSi »

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Looking good. On a technical note: did you draw in each of those whiskers on whatever-his-name is? The dark haired one? Or was it some sort of brush effect or something?
~Danimal
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

They look like Odd Job Jack characters...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?