Golf Rage

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

Golf Rage

Post by sargumphigaus »

I haven't posted anything in awhile. That's because I drink way too much and am utterly obsessed with batman.

BE WARNED YE WHO DOTH CLICKETH THINE LINK

mature audiences only. this isn't meant for younglings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ0aBNHd ... e=youtu.be
Danimal

Re: Golf Rage

Post by Danimal »

It isn't safe for work either
~Danimal
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I had to take two showers, and watch three G rated Disney films to clean that animation from my brain. I may have to get therapy. ;)

I can appreciate on the edge type stuff. I don't reject it completely if it has other stronger qualities, but when the only purpose is just the shock of grotesque amputation, then it's a bit too much. First off there's the gruesome body part removal AND the childish... erm.... body part chosen to be removed. Individually, it might not be too much, but both together is a bit much. For example if it was his head getting ripped off that would be bad enough but nothing we haven't see in cartoons before, but both... together was just over over the top.

I can say that up until the fully anticipated and done a million times "punch line", I did like the rough and disturbing drawing style. That style creates an emotion that doesn't even require the violent and crude punch line. I got a chill from the look and sound of the characters. It created a creepy, visceral chill. If you could expand on that style and apply it to something with a stronger "story" (and it doesn't have to be clean and G rated either, just something that goes beyond... mentally disturbed 12 year old fart humor) I could appreciate it more.

I liked the style... but no so much the story. :)
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

hahaha, i appreciate the honesty. yes, over the top is exactly what this was. Two of my friends asked me to do it as a favor, so in my defense, i can honestly say that this wasn't my idea. Juvenile humor is certainly how you describe it. It really is to me just a throw away concept and a basic excuse to hurl myself back into the animation. To be completely honest, I wasn't really into the idea to begin with. It really came down to the last five seconds when the guy's face began to morph and go slightly insane. Experimenting with the point animation/switch layering was really my favorite part. Along with trying my hand in smears and that whole stretch and squash thing.

I do aspire for greater things. I'm working on a longer video where i take things a lot more serious, where i try to allude to atmosphere and dare i say philosophical themes. As for the scariness factor (especially with the audio), that is in every sense of the word, the very style that I've been pushing myself to accomplish. I highly doubt i'll be catering to anyone but myself and my friends in the near future, but then, i'm doing it for me.

thanks for the honest feedback.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Good to hear!

I like that style even though it scares me. It reminds me of an artist when I was very very young whose work was suppose to be "funny" but was drawn with great detail and exaggeration and sort of terrified me (can't remember the name off hand).

There were elements of you animation that stood out specifically, the crazy shaky lines of the close up when the character was hit by the ball... hard to explain. Not saying it's "there" yet, but keep developing your style and the "quality content" can always come later. ;)
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

Good to see you back at things.

I agree with much of what Vern said, but I still liked it. There's just something about your style, this underlying disturbing tone you are able to create, that is special to me.

I absolutely loved your Thwomped videos. I think those are you at your best. For my taste at least. Dark, but funny. But I get the hunch that Economy Man and Descending Transmission are more what you are striving for. And those are really unique as well.

You have vision, which is a powerful piece of the creative puzzle. Dare I say, the most important piece?

Anyway, look forward to more, my friend.
Jimmy Mills

Some of my Moho Pro work.
My Demo Reel: https://youtu.be/_kSCno4Wd3c?si=gNT7d27R7sM4jjqq
Buddies Ep 4: https://youtu.be/f8Zbzo2mpHA?si=4EyxhBOrgOxkDoSO
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

I'm glad you dig the style. It's the core basis of what i'm trying to accomplish, regardless of the context.

Yeah, the thing about thwomped is...while it's fun for recording and provides a ton of laughs, it definitely isn't conducive to what i want to make. Parodies in my opinion are redundant and entirely too common. They offer nothing new, only a re imagining of a product that wasn't originally from the animator. That said, i currently have no interest in making another Thwomped, nor any parody for that matter. Economy Man is exactly the style i'm pushing towards. Stay tuned, i'm making a sequel to Economy Man. It's going to be extremely ambitious.
Artpen

Post by Artpen »

sargumphigaus, that was original, crude, stylish, brave, and to me, yes, I laughed, I thought it was really funny!

I like this type of mad cartoon, I can't get enough of them, silly yes, but funny.

I liked your thwomped vids too, you have a great style, and a great sense of humour, keep em coming!