Threshold + New particle source

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wizaerd

Re: Threshold + New particle source

Post by wizaerd »

hammerjammer wrote:.
By the way, Bugs is still the king. its a shame its not on tv anymore or very little. I would never try and do that type of animation though. I can't draw anything very well. I tend to get stuff from the internet and then trace, rig and animate them. I think I'm getting pretty good at the rigging. There not as fancy and complicated as Selgins and many others on here, But every day I try something new. Some days they don't go very well :D But, i'm sure of one thing YOU ALL have been there too. My animation on the other hand needs help, my characters tend to be a little more robotic than I'd like. But, practice makes perfect.
It's funny you mention Bugs; just this past week I was home from work sick, and watched some old Looney Tunes. The Bugs Bunny episode, where him and the animator (at the end it turns out it was Elmer Fudd), are quarreling. The animator is paining different ears, different body shapes onto Bugs, different backgrounds, etc... While entertaining, I was watching specifically for the number of angles, turn-a-arounds, head turns, etc... all the things that separate frame by frame animations with cut-out animations (although I'm not sure cut-out is an accurate nom de plume either) and I gotta agree... Bugs and the other Looney Tunes are still the kings.
hammerjammer

Post by hammerjammer »

It's funny you mention Bugs; just this past week I was home from work sick, and watched some old Looney Tunes. The Bugs Bunny episode, where him and the animator (at the end it turns out it was Elmer Fudd), are quarreling. The animator is paining different ears, different body shapes onto Bugs, different backgrounds, etc... While entertaining, I was watching specifically for the number of angles, turn-a-arounds, head turns, etc... all the things that separate frame by frame animations with cut-out animations (although I'm not sure cut-out is an accurate nom de plume either) and I gotta agree... Bugs and the other Looney Tunes are still the kings.
Yes, Every since I started messing around with animation(Anime Studio only) I watch and enjoy cartoons differently than I used too. Now I'm watching and thinking how it was done. Is it done old school style(Frame by frame) or with computer? How did they do this or that? You know what I mean? That sort of stuff goes through my head. My daughter really likes Sponge bob, so I've made a few small really short Sponge bob animations for her using some of the original audio.
(I have No clue how Sponge bob is made, But its probably made in part at least with computer software of some sort, as well as a number of the modern cartoons on TV these days. Still not as good as the Looney tunes stuff)

HammerJammer
Check out All of my animations on my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerAnimation/videos

Thanks for watching!
Hammerjammer
Kadoogan

Post by Kadoogan »

I was fortunate enough to see the old Bugs Bunny cartoons played onscreen with a live professional orchestra doing all the music a month ago or so. It was a presentation of the local orchestra where I live.

It was interesting because they played many of the old favorites. The cartoons had the soundtracks removed so the orchestra could play over top of it all while the cartoons were projected on screen.

The conductor had a headset with a click track, and he kept the symphony in line similar to how it would actually be done for a movie.

They even had the original slide guitar used in the beginning of the original cartoons (refurbished of course). It was all very cool! Amazing how the symphonic music links so well with cartoons generally.

Apparently the original orchestra at Warner Brothers would bang out the soundtracks for cartoons after their regular shifts were done. 1 or 2 takes and they were done with it. I think that gave it all a more manic feel in the end - higher energy!

Back to the topic at hand...

I have a comment regarding Selgin's cloud animation - although I agree that it is a very cool effect, to me it looks more like scrubbing bubbles than actual clouds. Or the roiling cloud formations captured in sped up footage of clouds forming, but still not as natural looking.

Nicely executed effect regardless, but not as cloud-like as I would have imagined it might be.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Kadoogan wrote:I have a comment regarding Selgin's cloud animation - although I agree that it is a very cool effect, to me it looks more like scrubbing bubbles than actual clouds. Or the roiling cloud formations captured in sped up footage of clouds forming, but still not as natural looking.
Nicely executed effect regardless, but not as cloud-like as I would have imagined it might be.
Sorry, but now I'm following the ScabieBabies' attitude, so I'm not accepting any critic.

Just kidding. I think you are right, Kadoogan. I will have to think another way to create this kind of effect (for a future project, beacuse this can't get any chances right now). The truth is didn't watched any reference for this. And that's a big mistake, I suppose.
Of course I'm open to any idea to improve it and it will be nice if other would post their tests too (as that great skull from CartoonM!ke).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
hammerjammer

Post by hammerjammer »

Sorry, but now I'm following the ScabieBabies' attitude, so I'm not accepting any critic.
That was really funny, I think everyone is in on that one now. :lol: ScabieBabies sure knows how to draw a crowd. :roll:
I don't think that this was the kind of publicity he was hoping for though.

HammerJammer
Check out All of my animations on my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerAnimation/videos

Thanks for watching!
Hammerjammer
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

hammerjammer wrote:
That was really funny, I think everyone is in on that one now. :lol: ScabieBabies sure knows how to draw a crowd. :roll:
I don't think that this was the kind of publicity he was hoping for though.

HammerJammer
The Unorthadoxical demeanor of Scabbs is to be celebrated. He brought everyone on this forum together in agreement and taught us all the real meaning of friendship. Now let us all hold hands and sing together.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

sargumphigaus wrote:Now let us all hold hands and sing together.
I agree. Perhaps the One-Eyed Jack song?
~Danimal
ddrake

Post by ddrake »

Oh Danimal! That's so ridiculous! There's no such thing as One-Eyed Jack!

Oh my god... Now I'm quoting it?

...Well, I've got to admit, it's a hell of a marketing campaign.
-ddrake
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

The new particle effect source feature was one of the selling points for me. I like what you did with it, Selgin.

On a side note, AbnerScab's posts have all been locked. Pure bliss.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

Careful if you talk about him, he might come back. You see, it's kind of like candlejack. If you say his name, they say he shows up and takes you away. Personally I don't buy into the legend but the thing abo
ddrake

Post by ddrake »

sargumphigaus wrote:Careful if you talk about him, he might come back. You see, it's kind of like candlejack. If you say his name, they say he shows up and takes you away. Personally I don't buy into the legend but the thing abo

Oh no! :shock:

Nice of him to click "submit" though.
-ddrake