My First Music Video

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

evolver

My First Music Video

Post by evolver »

I wanted to make a music video for the release of a new album, so I started learning ASP and Blender last year. I spent a lot of time lurking on these forums to pick up tips. Now I am actually sharing something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKwcrH ... =autoshare

(Important note: the music is kind of a heavy industrial-rock type of thing. if you don't like it, there is a wonderful mute button on the player :-) )
lwaxana

Re: My First Music Video

Post by lwaxana »

Welcome to the forum and cool animation! You establish a really strong mood. I especially like the imagery at 2:04. I think the contrast and composition are really reinforcing the mood in that shot. In some of the other scenes it's not as obvious where the eye is being directed because the characters blend in with the background. You could create more direction by using the highest contrast where you want the audience to look or by blurring the background elements to simulate depth of field.
evolver

Post by evolver »

lwaxana wrote:Welcome to the forum and cool animation! You establish a really strong mood. I especially like the imagery at 2:04. I think the contrast and composition are really reinforcing the mood in that shot. In some of the other scenes it's not as obvious where the eye is being directed because the characters blend in with the background. You could create more direction by using the highest contrast where you want the audience to look or by blurring the background elements to simulate depth of field.

thank you very much, these are very helpful comments for my next foray into video making.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I liked the video. It creates a world that feels quite disturbing. There are a lot of strong images there and it fits the music so I think it was a success :D
drichird

Post by drichird »

What a freaky world! I love it! Much much good stuff in your video, most important the overall space/robotic planet mood is very well done and the music and "aluminum foil" covered human(oid)s are powerful and bizarre. Video and music both have strong raw desolated world feeling with scenes like everyone kneeling in worship and creatures coming in through portals. Are you involved with the band or just creating the video, either way talent abounds.

A couple tiny nitpicks: towards the beginning with lunar landscape which was awesome stars in background should move in sync with viewer (as objects in far distance always do) if you want realism there otherwise they seem attached to the mountains. #2 given this is a robotic world I would still add (in just a few selected places) a little more movement (or at least a little faster movement in keeping with the music) to arms and legs, and perhaps detail out a bit more their eyes as another poster mentioned, but just a little.

P.S. Even though am an older guy grew up with Led Zep, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, etc... liked music great raw energy felt no need to hit the MUTE button. :-)
evolver

Post by evolver »

Thanks so much for checking it out and your kind words.
drichird wrote:What a freaky world! I love it! Much much good stuff in your video, most important the overall space/robotic planet mood is very well done and the music and "aluminum foil" covered human(oid)s are powerful and bizarre. Video and music both have strong raw desolated world feeling with scenes like everyone kneeling in worship and creatures coming in through portals. Are you involved with the band or just creating the video, either way talent abounds.
I am part of the band. My primary talent is music production and song writing. I've only been animating for under a year, so i tried to go with a more kitschy/stylized approach to try to work with my level of skill. I am glad that the thematics came through.
drichird wrote: A couple tiny nitpicks: towards the beginning with lunar landscape which was awesome stars in background should move in sync with viewer (as objects in far distance always do) if you want realism there otherwise they seem attached to the mountains. #2 given this is a robotic world I would still add (in just a few selected places) a little more movement (or at least a little faster movement in keeping with the music) to arms and legs, and perhaps detail out a bit more their eyes as another poster mentioned, but just a little.
Nitpicks are great! i appreciate the feedback. What i did there was to create separate layers of the scene in Blender, then i brought them into ASP on different Z-depths, and then i animated the camera pan. I think i might have stuck the stars too far in the background. I sthere a way to still get the parallax movement with the starts all the way in the back but still syncd to the viewer ?

for the movement -- i agree. i could definitely use more movement. I need to learn alot more about walk/run cycles and movement cycles. They are a major PITA to get right. just this meager attempt took me countless hours to get it where it was.

I want to do a lot more detail in the next one. that is going to be dependent on how much i improve my modeling skills for setting up the scenes.
drichird wrote:P.S. Even though am an older guy grew up with Led Zep, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, etc... liked music great raw energy felt no need to hit the MUTE button. :-)
Led Zep and Iron Maiden are two of my favorite bands of all time. There is pretty much not a single Zep song I cant listen to. For Maiden, I really prefer the earlier Bruce DIckinson stuff -- Number, Seventh Son, Power Slave. If you like guitar solos, i throw a few down on this track from that same album:

https://soundcloud.com/theevolutionarie ... by/s-9TGyV

thanks again to everyone for the feedback. I really enjoy ASP -- i find it very zen like to sit for a few hours and focus on getting a scene all set up.