Updated WhiteLand Character Rig

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ianmage1

Updated WhiteLand Character Rig

Post by ianmage1 »

So far, my first year of college hasn't given me a whole lot of free time to animate. I've only worked on a few rigs, and this one isn't even complete, but I thought I'd share it anyways.

Yeah, it's an updated rig of my main character from WhiteLand (also my profile pic). I finally figured out a way to combine the flowing hair with the head turn as well as how to give the hair some animated shadows in real time. I still have plenty of facial smart bone actions to make and an entire body to rig as well, but I'm definitely going to apply what I've done so far to my future rigs.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
ddrake

Re: Updated WhiteLand Character Rig

Post by ddrake »

Looking nice. Glad to see you back at work with AS. :)
-ddrake
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Great movement, but was wondering if you wanted the eyes to get that big in the last second or two of the sample animation, just looked a little out of place than your usual.
ddrake

Post by ddrake »

Little Yamori wrote:wondering if you wanted the eyes to get that big in the last second or two of the sample animation, just looked a little out of place than your usual.
Well, since LY mentioned it... I noticed that too. Of course stretching out facial actions more extreme than you'd usually use is probably a good idea. And looks like there's some style evolution going on here. But Li'l Yam is right, the eyes definitely seem a little larger scale or prominent in this version.

Aso, if you don't mind my asking, what approach are you using for the wind in the hair? Do you have a cycled flowing action, and the head turn just pulls the root bones of the hair segments? Also looks like the head turn definitely influences the sway, which I've tried to accomplish and somewhat succeeded with incorporating dynamics (but not with a blowing wind factor in mind)

Anyway, still looks great! Looking forward to more.
-ddrake
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

Thank you, ddrake and LY.
His eyes are wide opened as if he's surprised by something; it's an extreme eye size--yeah... my animation fails to actually show his default eye size... my bad. Yes, each hair segment is going through a cycle with the keyframes of each segment offset slightly from the rest to add a bit more variety to the bone dynamics. Again, yes, when the head turns, the root bones of the hair segments are pulled, which makes the dynamic sway possible. I had been struggling to find a way to accomplish all this without having to manually animate the hair vectors, which is what I've been doing up until this point.

That's really the only reason I bothered posting this--that and the fact that I haven't posted anything here in a while. :|
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Looks very good! Good to see you back in action!
~Danimal
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Yeah! Great animation. Enjoyed watching it. I replayed it several times.
Cheers, Larry