360º head rotation

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Furpuss

360º head rotation

Post by Furpuss »

Hello all-

I watched a tutorial by a guy named Lychee and it inspired me to do a full head turn utilizing some of AS 3D functions.
You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lS-UZBlN8

I expanded on this technique by first making a crude 3D template to work over. Many attempts at head turns use what I call 'eyeballing' which is OK but the 3D model keeps the head nice & solid looking because it's all mathematical. The 3D wireframe template was based on a maquette I had made years ago when I animated Tony Tiger commercials.

Then I added 2D frame by frame color shapes guided by the template. Which was a LOT of work! The exceptions were the eyes and nose which are flat surfaces and could be easily rotated around the head. Mind you, it's still not perfect.

Unfortunately, this technique is probably impractical since it took me about 50 hours to complete and has no eye blinks, mouth shapes, etc. So I'm labeling it an R&D work in progress. If anyone has any thoughts on how to use this technique more efficiently, I'm all ears. You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbcaPuG ... e=youtu.be

Cheers, Furpuss
3deeguy

Re: 360º head rotation

Post by 3deeguy »

"Tony The Tiger"! 50 hours is a lot of work but it's a technique worth learning.
I also think you made an excellent case for using reference photos. The stripes rotated very well.
I got someone to do head poses for me so I could get the proportions right. I want to do believable head nods as well as head turns. I expect it to take more than 50 hours so I'm gonna make backup copies of my work.
Thanks for sharing your work.
Cheers, Larry
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Quite Impressive that you could pull this off. Could you have done this frame-by-frame in the same time?
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Furpuss wrote:
If anyone has any thoughts on how to use this technique more efficiently, I'm all ears. You can see it here:

Lychee has some great insights on making the AS do wonders. Here's another tutorial by Selgin, which works nicely too
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54411/AS8/forum ... torial.mp4
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

If you show 360 degree head rotation, surely you'll need a priest standing by?...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
muhire

Post by muhire »

pretty nice, even it takes along to achieve!!! :)
RussSilva

Post by RussSilva »

Very long tutorial but informative. Nicely done...
Pinesal

Post by Pinesal »

It's GRRRRRRRRRRREAT!