Wine and Moonlight

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

alee

Wine and Moonlight

Post by alee »

This is my second and most recent ASP project. Still no walk cycle here but really, don’t people spend more time sitting than walking?

Your comments on this animation will be helpful.

jahnocli

Re: Wine and Moonlight

Post by jahnocli »

I'm guessing this is a comment on the nature of reality and the difficulties of human communication. It was a struggle to get to the end, and I wouldn't watch it twice. The guy gestured far too much -- looked like he had some kind of Obsessive Compulsive disorder.
Would this have the same effect as a live action film? Might be even better, like a Monty Python sketch or something. One or two nice subtle touches, like the eye movements, but for me these were swamped mostly by the guy's quasi-philosophical gobbledygook which rapidly became tiresome (sorry if you're a Dewey fan).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
eric1223

Post by eric1223 »

Mhhmm. About the dialog...I didn't understand this at all! I looked at it about 4 times trying to figure out how they first started talking about sleeping swans to unconscious experiences (when she comments on lights in his eyes). It SEEMS like he didn't come prepared to respond for anything she says to him, so he decideds to say the deepest, and most intellegent thing he can think of. At the top of his head! Thats why I kinda like it. But do you mind elaberating this conversation?

The art syle, I like. It kinda reminds me of an old school show(like Dilbert, you know that was/is a comic strip). The guy's animation is funny, they way he keeps "counting at her", his face turning into "gridlock", and his over excitement when he talks.The ending was funny too. I wish he would have spoken just so I can see what happens.

The only thing I have with is that I don't understand what they were talking about....well not really,that could be a something you could do to get your fans to do some research. But the conversation does seem random, which is kinda funny. Too me it seems something like:

Tim: Yesterday, I hit a ball over the fence. Now I gotta go over and get it..
Peter: Those Previous 24 hours had been great.

Keep it up. Please explain this!
alee

Post by alee »

eric1223 wrote:About the dialog... do you mind elaborating this conversation?
I can see how it could be confusing and frustrating to try to make sense of this when their entire conversation is thoroughly absurd. Both people in this scene are speaking complete nonsense. She is being romantic and poetic but her poetry is disconnected and random. He is rattling on from his left brain about some philosophical prattle that is incomprehensible and apparently unrelated to her comments.

Although the bits of conversation (and his wild gestures) are totally absurd, I didn’t mean for this to be meaningless. It is about communication—dialogues that turn into parallel monologues. Plus, I am a big fan of Theatre of the Absurd.

That’s my explanation, but I’m not going to defend this too much because I know it has problems. I think shorter would have been better. I let him jabber on a little too long, as if viewers would miss the point. That said, for me this was mainly practice, not a work of art. This is the extent of what I know how to do in Anime Studio at this point.

Finally, thanks eric1223 and jahnocli for your comments, I appreciate it.
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

This is really well drawn and funny (to me). Maybe in a sort of Woody Allen way. If you have to explain a joke, it usually kills it. I also appreciate the care you have taken with the woman's jaw moving with sync and with the gradient on the sky. I wonder if you also thought about putting a shaded effect on some of the character layers, giving a bit more depth - not a suggestion, just curious.
eric1223

Post by eric1223 »

alee wrote:
I can see how it could be confusing and frustrating to try to make sense of this when their entire conversation is thoroughly absurd. Both people in this scene are speaking complete nonsense. She is being romantic and poetic but her poetry is disconnected and random. He is rattling on from his left brain about some philosophical prattle that is incomprehensible and apparently unrelated to her comments.

Although the bits of conversation (and his wild gestures) are totally absurd, I didn’t mean for this to be meaningless. It is about communication—dialogues that turn into parallel monologues. Plus, I am a big fan of Theatre of the Absurd.
This wasn't fustrating at all. I liked it, and I also like to try to figure things out. So I was right all along, and enjoyed it for the right reasons. Thanks for for the thanks for the explanations
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

alee, you have good stuff. I actually listened to the "Checkers" speech because of your animation. Regarding this animation I had to watch it twice before I 'got' it. You made me think which is always a good thing.
Cheers, Larry
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

It's clever, rather in the style of a New Yorker cartoon.