ASP 3D capabilities

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Furpuss

ASP 3D capabilities

Post by Furpuss »

Hey everybody-

I've been working on a video that explores the capabilities of Anime Studio's 3D object creation. It's a model of an old pickup truck.You can see it here: https://youtu.be/G2ASUa_JR4w

My first approach was to use Blender but I found that learning Blender is not something you can do in a week even though I had some 3D experience with Maya & Lightwave. So I thought I'd build the model using ASP's 3D objects. Gilles Charbonneau's tutorial on 3D shapes was a big help. Unfortunately, ASP's capabilities are too limited for what I had in mind. For one thing, you need orthographic (flat) views in order to model which ASP does not have.

The main problem here was that some of the shapes, like the doors, render on top of the tires as you can see in the video. I tried everything I could think of to fix it like using Depth Sort but nothing worked. Anyone got any ideas about this problem?

Cheers,
Furpuss
hayasidist

Re: ASP 3D capabilities

Post by hayasidist »

It's likely to be to do with layer origin and vectors in the layer that have, when rotated in 3d, a large z depth - large enough so that when the "front" of a shape is in front of the origin and the "back" behind it there will be other layers with z position somewhere between its front and back. AS is not able to "break" the shape so you'll always have it either all in front of or all behind another layer.

to see this more clearly try this in a new empty AS doc:

create a triangle on a vector layer (layer1) and set its centre to 0,0 (use point translate)
duplicate the layer => layer2
move down the timeline a bit and set that second layer to Y rotation = 90

scrub up and down the timeline and render with layer1 in front of layer2 and vice versa...
Furpuss

Re: ASP 3D capabilities

Post by Furpuss »

hayasidist wrote:It's likely to be to do with layer origin and vectors in the layer that have, when rotated in 3d, a large z depth - large enough so that when the "front" of a shape is in front of the origin and the "back" behind it there will be other layers with z position somewhere between its front and back. AS is not able to "break" the shape so you'll always have it either all in front of or all behind another layer.

to see this more clearly try this in a new empty AS doc:

create a triangle on a vector layer (layer1) and set its centre to 0,0 (use point translate)
duplicate the layer => layer2
move down the timeline a bit and set that second layer to Y rotation = 90

scrub up and down the timeline and render with layer1 in front of layer2 and vice versa...
Thanks for the info, hayasidist. What you're saying makes sense. I'll try your test.

Furpuss