Improved front walk

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

saintbe

Improved front walk

Post by saintbe »

Hi,

I made some improvements to a front walk I added a while ago ... I think I improved the feet to add some depth to the movement... I hope :P

Lemme know if you like or what I could do better.

Thanks,
-Kim.
synthsin75

Re: Improved front walk

Post by synthsin75 »

I think the arms should swing out a little more (maybe with a little elbow bend), so it doesn't look so stiff, but I love the little twist with the feet.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I see talent. Your avatar gif has 'attitude'. I like 'front view' characters. 'Perspective' is key to making the effect work. It takes extra work but I think it's worth the effort
Cheers, Larry
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

Certainly better than my own attempts, but I'm going to be honest... it looks like she needs a stick removed from somewhere... Her knees seem to be close together, her arms are way too stiff, and her stride is perhaps too short. Maybe it's the style you're going for, but it just kinda looks off to me.
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

Looks OK, but the shading above the leg on the left (her right) should change sides as she walks.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I don't know if this will fix the walk, but there's usually a slight contrapposto (opposite tilt) movement of the hips and shoulders that's not evident here.

Basic walks are hard, personality walks are even harder. Keep at it.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Some of you might have seen my attempt which was far from perfect. I used the 'side view' to mark where the bones would be. It wasn't a perfect solution. There is no pelvic movement or change in center of gravity and I still have to study a 'biometric' walking webpage. We're all getting better, I think.

Cheers, Larry
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

nice work Larry.
I think the issue with the OP for me is that all of the forshortening appears to be happening in the thighs rather than the shins - but its the shins that are travelling the furthest from the body, try reducing the scale difference of the thigh and increasing the scale difference of the shin and see if that helps...feet dont seem to change either and I think there is too much side swing.

Check this out - if anything the lower legs are swinging in not out (skip to about 4 mins in)
Also notice, arms are swinging back then continue outwards rather than around and across the body

saintbe

Post by saintbe »

Thanks for all the advise guys !

I'll keep improving it.

Nice shading trick on the front walk Larry (adding shade on the lower part as it goes back) !
I'll try to apply it too ... simple enough trick to add the illusion of depth :D

I know there's close to no pelvic movement in my first walk ... that certainly would improve it ... I'm not sure how I should implement that though... I've been testing with some pelvic bones on another character to get some belly dancing effect or even some twerking :lol: ... but I can't seem to get it right.

-----EDIT------

I made some modifications and followed your advise ... I think it improved ... lemme know your thoughts please :

Cheers !
-Kim.
Noiz2

Post by Noiz2 »

It's better but if you look at the fashion video the knees need to bend and kind of lead the leg to the new front position. Realistically If you don't bend your knee your foot won't clear the ground as you leg moves forward. Another tweak would be the up and down of the body as it walks. When the leg is straight and centered the body is a bit higher than when the legs are at an angle.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

saintbe, I highly recommend this website: http://endlessreference.com/
They also have a YouTube channel which I subscribed to.
Cheers, Larry