Lonervanna (Animated Short Film) - finally completed!

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ianmage1

Lonervanna (Animated Short Film) - finally completed!

Post by ianmage1 »

This short film is a personal project that I began working on before I started university. After two years of animating and composing―with very little free time―I have finally finished this project.

This is also the first short film I've made that features my own original score.
I hope you like it.

Last edited by ianmage1 on Sun May 08, 2016 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1
Majoring in computer science doesn't leave much time for animation...
lwaxana

Re: Lonervanna (Animated Short Film) - finally completed!

Post by lwaxana »

Congrats on finishing this piece! It's beautiful, as always!
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

lwaxana wrote:Congrats on finishing this piece! It's beautiful, as always!
Thank you! I'm relieved.
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

I shared this a while back (two years ago), but for anyone who hasn't seen it, here's a video demonstration of the character rig that I created and used in my animated short film.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Thanks for re-posting the rigging set up,

I remember seeing this a while back, but because I was using Debut 6 which had no smartbone capabilities I couldn't use it as a guide. Now that I finally have pro I'm playing catch up with smartbone actions, it's really helpful to see how different rigs are set up. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on finishing your animation, the effects you use are really a nice touch to your work.

LY
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

Little Yamori wrote:Thanks for re-posting the rigging set up,

I remember seeing this a while back, but because I was using Debut 6 which had no smartbone capabilities I couldn't use it as a guide. Now that I finally have pro I'm playing catch up with smartbone actions, it's really helpful to see how different rigs are set up. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on finishing your animation, the effects you use are really a nice touch to your work.

LY
Thank you, Little Yamori.
I've seen your work done in Debut 6, and I was always impressed by the fact that everything was done without smartbones; impressive stuff. When smart bones were introduced to AS, they were a major game-changer for me; now, I can't imagine using AS without them.
pihms

Post by pihms »

Nice work! It has a Space Odyssey 2001 feel to it. You did a very good job with the rigging. The spiral glitter column was quite interesting. Did you create the animation entirely in Anime Studio? :D
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

pihms wrote:Nice work! It has a Space Odyssey 2001 feel to it. You did a very good job with the rigging. The spiral glitter column was quite interesting. Did you create the animation entirely in Anime Studio? :D
Thank you, phims!
Yes, the animation was created entirely in AS. For the spiral glitter column, I had to be creative with the particle effects.

Here's the main group layer: It has a 360 rotation cycle about the y-axis, holding a vector layer with a single vector shape that moves (cycled) on an upward slant.

Here's the full particle layer: It also has a 360 rotation cycle about the y-axis, holding the above group layer.

I had to do a lot of trial and error with the timing in each layer to ensure that when the main group layer would be duplicated and randomized, the
particles would be spaced according to plan--not too far apart, but not too close either.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

ianmage1 wrote: I had to do a lot of trial and error with the timing in each layer to ensure that when the main group layer would be duplicated and randomized, the
particles would be spaced according to plan--not too far apart, but not too close either.
It came out awesome
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

These are among the best particle examples I've seen in ASP. Great job on the video. 8)
ianmage1

Post by ianmage1 »

neeters_guy wrote:These are among the best particle examples I've seen in ASP. Great job on the video. 8)
Thanks, neeters_guy!

That means a lot. I've found that I can have much better control over my particle animation by simply not using the particle motion presets, and, instead, creating cyclically-animated vector/group layers (separate from the particle layer) and using the particle layer solely for duplicating those layers.