New Character Animation Tests

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jayfaker

New Character Animation Tests

Post by jayfaker »

Hi everyone! I haven't posted much over the past half year because I moved from freelancing to a full-time motion graphics job. I finally convinced my employer to purchase Anime Studio Pro for character animation, and I'm pitching for the rest of the animators on our team to get it as well.

Anyway, these are my first character animation tests for a new education animation series the team is working on. Some of it could definitely be polished, but I figure I should post for critique anyhow. The characters were designed by someone else in Illustrator, I just traced her work in ASP, rigged and animated.

Let me know what you think! I'd appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thanks!

Jim
ThatsNotAllFolks

Re: New Character Animation Tests

Post by ThatsNotAllFolks »

I like the style of the characters and the movement too :D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Love the character style and animations, really nice work!

I think the 'sassy' fast walk needs a little tweaking, the wrists should be loosened up in both walks, and check the apparent 'pausing' of legs in the passing frame.
The hair in the first sitting action looks quite stiff and elastic - would be nice to make it more flowing.
just my 2c :)
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Good job on convincing your employer to use ASP! 8)

You probably want to animate the hair by hand (I'm guessing it's dynamic bones now), the movement is off and it's cutting trough her shoulder and chair. It might be intentional, but it doesn't seem right to me.
Her butt is a bit strange when walking because of the darker left leg. Maybe a gradient like in the hair could fix that, so it's all 1 color at the hips.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Overall really nice natural movement, just here and there some small tweaks would help. After the 2nd chair/sitting shot you have a walk cycle where the shirt rises with the hip for the first step, but then goes static flat for the following steps, I think it needs to continue with the motion of the hips.

Awesome job though

LY
Kadoogan

Post by Kadoogan »

In addition to what everyone else said - the overall animation is smooth and pleasant.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Oddernod

Post by Oddernod »

That first move is ridiculously well done — it's the small subtle stuff that's the hardest to get right and you made it look effortless.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Nice!
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

Oh hey, I didn't realize anyone had replied to this post. Thanks guys!

Yes, I agree the hair, the wrists need to be loosened up and the hair probably needs to be finished by hand. And the passing positions on the walk cycles could be smoothed out. Also, for some reason the legs kicking in the walk cycles bug me too. Maybe I'll work on these a bit and do a follow up. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Excellent, how could they not be convinced to bring Moho into the studio after these tests. Having just spent the weekend rigging up a character in After effects I am convinced that Moho is the better and more flexible solution. I wish you the best in showcasing this tool and producing great work samples, I'd like to see it get more widespread traction.
pihms

Post by pihms »

Well done. I like the style and movements. :D