Some Moho Work in 'All Hail King Julien'

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Some Moho Work in 'All Hail King Julien'

Post by Greenlaw »

Happy Almost New Year everybody!

I'm catching up on season 4 of All Hail King Julien on Netflix this week, and I just watched a few episodes I wanted to call out for Moho fans. The team I'm on at DWA does a lot of work using a variety of animation programs so I can't possibly call out everything, but this latest season of AHKJ has some of my favorite footage animated in Moho. If you have access to Netflix, please check these out:

S4:E2 The Neverending Clover This one features an extra long Thighsander Plunderhorse 'mini-episode'. The segments are scattered throughout the episode, with most of it in the beginning and near the end.

S4:E10 The Wrath of Morticus Khan. About halfway through the episode, watch for an 'educational' segment explaining multiverse theory. This one was a challenge for me because I had to make it look 'fully animated' but it was mostly done using bones and group transforms.

S4:E12 I Maurice. The Moho bits are short in this episode but they feature a really cute baby Julien and baby Maurice. Aww!

This may sound weird but I don't usually get to see the final version of the shows until they're out in public, so I'm enjoying these for the first time too. Well, gotta get back to my binge watching.

P.S., We also animate the 2D segments in Puss In Boots and the cave painting animations in The Croods. I can't point them all out (there are way too many,) but the recent ones I worked on were animated in Moho. Have fun spotting them!

P.P.S., For obvious reasons, I can't officially (or unofficially for that matter,) answer questions about Dreamworks productions so please don't ask.

P.P.P.S., I'm getting tired of seeing the Scareplane banner below so I'm working on new personal animation and art projects for 2017. I'll be pleased to get questions about that stuff so watch for announcements next year.

Have a great holiday! :P
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dueyftw

Re: Some Moho Work in S4 of King Julien

Post by dueyftw »

P.P.S., For obvious reasons, I can't officially (or unofficially for that matter,) answer questions about Dreamworks productions so please don't ask.
My best work has been done with or for someone else. I have come up some cool rigs that fit unique characters that I can not show anyone because of a NDA or just the personal understanding that the idea is not to be passed around.

A few times I have rig something and the person is amazed by just the rig. As far as I can tell no other program lets one bone control another. I have gotten the 'How did you do that?' from inexperience and experience animators.

I feel that a lot of the resistance is that animators and the studios know only one or two animation programs and find that Moho is just simple program that can not compete. It kind of like Moho is Pencil and they work with TV Paint.

So it's good to see Dreaworks using Moho. Maybe in the future we will see 'wanted 2d Moho rigger'

Dale
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

dueyftw wrote:My best work has been done with or for someone else.
Yes. If I had my way, I'd probably only want to work on personal projects but, to be honest, being able to collaborate with other artists enriches my own work technically and creatively. Also, I find working on other people's productions can challenge me in ways I wouldn't think of myself. And if I'm going to be completely honest, the work stuff does help fund my personal stuff.

That said, a lot of techniques I come up up with in my own productions also gets applied to what I do at work, so it's win-win for everybody! :D

I think being able to work on both personal projects and third party projects can make everything look better, and I can at least talk openly about my personal work.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ernpchan

Post by ernpchan »

The AHKJ version of the MoonBoy logo, the boy fishing from the Moon, that plays in the beginning was done in Moho.
My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
http://www.ernestpchan.com
http://www.zazzle.com/gopuggo
neeters_guy

Re: Some Moho Work in 'All Hail King Julien'

Post by neeters_guy »

I just checked it out and it looks fantastic! Clearly a lot of thought was put into the texturing to give it a nice organic feel. Good work!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I had the luck to meet Dennis, Ernest, Chris and the rest of the team. They are very nice people and we visited them at DreamWorks (twice!). I'm very happy to see their work is finally public. Mike, Michi and I watched some of their animation for this and other projects and it was very impressive. It's fantastic to see how Moho works when it's used for extremely talented people like them.
Also, some of the Moho new features/improvements came from their ideas.

Thank you very much for sharing this, Dennis. I already watched every clip made with Moho and mow I'm watching the entire series in Netflix.

Happy new year, by the way :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Thanks, Dennis. It's great to be able to share some of this work publicly - at least to say this and this is done using Moho, by these talented people at a studio you've heard of. People often ask, "Who else uses Moho?" and often we can't answer publicly (I think you guys at DreamWorks were asking us this a couple years ago), so it's awesome to be able to point people to some more samples. Happy New Year!