character test - spinning 360' (File)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Egyptianboy

Re: character test

Post by Egyptianboy »

Wow .. Chuck Kenway .. himself
Thank you , This is great supporting
And Strider 2000 , you guys gave me hope . i used (and still) learning from you .. chuck , silgen ,strider , slowtiger , and other BIG BOYZ . I own u so much

I do not know what to say . I just think that no secrets or techniques distinctive in the character " Shakawa "
I just loved the character. I wanted to implement the details of the plan without giving up any detail
I do not know if I can make Tutorial. I do not know that. and bad in the montage as you saw
But I will try .. if it was useful to send files .. I will do immediately . in return :
(LoL) .. to be honored ur visit on my Facebook account ... I'm joking ... no I'm not joking
Thanks again

https://www.facebook.com/habeeby.ahmed

https://www.facebook.com/groups/984908188309151/
Decent people still here .. keep dreaming .
https://www.youtube.com/c/mohamedviking
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

I know for me, a video just walking through the specifics of your rig would be very helpful. For me, one of the hardest things in MOHO, is that there are so many ways to do things, that I may do things the hard way. Also, sometimes I spend a bunch of time doing something, because I didn't realize there was a much easier way to do it. Since I'm not a trained animator, it's not always obvious to me what will work well. Also, sometimes I may get frustrated thinking it should be easy and quick when it just simply the case that quality animation takes time.

Here are a couple of examples of what I mean.

Head turn and masks.
Does your rig use a mask on the face layer or the eye layer or both? In your walk cycle, the head turn adds real life to the character. One challenge for me, is that you go from the two eye, to one eye profile view. The easiest way I know to do that is by making the face a mask layer. However, for my eyes I'm currently using the masking of the eye later, so I can easily move the pupils. I've haven't been able to get both to work well together, but maybe I'm doing something silly. You could also be switching the head from a 3/4 view to a profile view as it turns. So I can think of several ways to do it, even if you're not doing frame by frame, but am curious on your approach.

Arm bend
Having slight curve in the arms gives the character a more natural appearance. One of the easiest ways to do that is with flexi-binding. (I'm guessing that's your approach) However, that can imply some limitations if you want to bend the arm in larger angles, or even want the arm to go past the top of vertical. I can think of lots of approaches, but here are some basic ones
  • use smart bones
  • use flexi-binding and do a deep arm bend
  • create on rig for the walk cycle adn no deep arm bend
Or here's a cool new one, Use Victor's technique of switching bones [viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30445]

So, just walking through what you did is helpful, because even if we've seen the technique before, realizing what others do to create high quality animations and why helps.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Egyptianboy. Fantastic character and rig. Can you share with us how you achieved the body turn? Only the body itself as I noticed the back section has detail around the collar that the front lacks and would love to know how you got that so perfect. :D

Cheers
D.K
Egyptianboy

Post by Egyptianboy »

Hi . DK
Glad to hear from you , i just shared the Moho file ( character spinning 360 ) .. it could be useful .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9849081 ... 367877399/

Thanks for downloading , :wink: You may comment there , come ooon , make me proud :)
Last edited by Egyptianboy on Sun May 14, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

Wow! Thanks so much for this Egyptianguy :) I can't believe how you have cut corners so flawlessly. A half body turn then flipping the body to complete the rotation! Great technique!

Cheers
D.K
Egyptianboy

Post by Egyptianboy »

Thanks . i think it's all about the TWO FRAMES (flipping frame & the frame before ) ... they got to be identical as much as possible . to get smooth look
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

The is exceptionally good work and some great techniques, for both the animation and 'story'. It works really well.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Egyptianboy, thank you for taking the time to share some of your work and create your image. Once again ... beautiful work!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

very nice... it must have been an interesting and rewarding journey for you since 2011 ...
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I'm sorry I didn't comment this before. It's amazing and inspiring! Thank you very much for sharing it :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Egyptianboy

Post by Egyptianboy »

Thanks so much , Victor .
And thanks Hayasidist . ... appreciate your comments .
Last edited by Egyptianboy on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
neeters_guy

Re: character test - spinning 360' (File)

Post by neeters_guy »

Thank you for sharing the file. Much to study here. 8)
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

As I expected, your style of rigging is more freeform than mine, which is a great opportunity for me to learn the approaches of others. Thank you very much for sharing. I don't do as much with masking as you do. I kind of get freaked out with all of the extra shapes flying off bodies. But your artistic sense is able to look past what I'm still working to become comfortable with.
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

This is amazing! Great piece of work. It looks so flowing and natural.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Please get this on the list of samples used to promote Moho. Totally pro.