The Door

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tore

The Door

Post by Tore »

The Door - test

Hybrid 3D/2D/cut-out/stop-frame/digital/analog test, for "The Door" an animation I'm currently working on. It is inspired by Jean-Paul Sartre's stageplay "Closed Doors", and will run for 3-4 minutes. No dialogue.
Everything is made as models in clay and cardboard, and then photographed for import into Moho. Only exception is the man, who is transfered to 3D and animated in Blender first, before importing into Moho as an image sequence.

Image Image
djwaterman

Re: The Door

Post by djwaterman »

Please post updates. I'm interested to see how you re-create the man in Blender among other things. It's always interesting to see artists who use Moho in their own way.
Tore

Post by Tore »

djwaterman wrote:Please post updates. I'm interested to see how you re-create the man in Blender among other things.
Here is a short run through of the stages in the making of the main character.

It starts of course with a sketch.

Then comes the actual modeling of the figure. Hand and head is made of airdrying clay and body and arms/legs of paper mache. All parts painted with acrylic paint.

The parts of the figure are then photographed.

This photograph is the base for every following step.
First as reference for 3D modeling in Blender.

And then as a paint -on-map in the texturing. The completed texture map is used both for color and (with minor adjustments) as displacement map.

Compositing and adding of shadows and light effects (tv-glow) is done completely in Moho, that also acts as video editor. Moho also takes care of the final video rendering to mp4 format.
mrc

Post by mrc »

I'm looking forward to see this develop.

But: Why do you use Moho for Compositing and Editing instead of, say, Blender or another dedicated application? Will there be 2D animation as well?

Marc
You don't agree with the post above? Click here.
www.tricklabor.com/en
Tore

Post by Tore »

mrc wrote:I'm looking forward to see this develop.

But: Why do you use Moho for Compositing and Editing instead of, say, Blender or another dedicated application? Will there be 2D animation as well?

Marc
Moho has, wether animating or not, an extremely friendly, fast and no-nonsense interface and workflow. And everything is wysiwig. I tried to make a similar setup in Hitfilm Express and in Natron, but even if it can be done, it is so much more labourus. Blender's compositor is way to awkward to be of any use IMO. It of course also helps that I have been using Moho for so many years.

Some elements ARE 2D/vector animated, though: The shadows and the light from the TV. Later on some other elements will be animated too.

If this relatively small setup shows to work well, I am planning to extend the media sources and the use of internal animation in Moho for an upcoming bigger project.