Recreating the Invader Zim opening sequence

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mdmodeler

Recreating the Invader Zim opening sequence

Post by mdmodeler »

I just started using Moho and I am very impressed for the price. Normally what I do to learn a new product is give myself a project that inspires me but doesn't really require too much creative energy. I can pour my creative energy into projects later after I understand the product's workflow.
Ok, why did I say all that? Well, I'm recreating the "Invader Zim" cartoon series' opening sequence using quite a few products I'm teaching myself to use. I just wanted to say why I was recreating this sequence so all those flamers out there that scream "copy" will be squelched. (It happened on a Maya site where I posted a model I created from the "Invader Zim" series.)
Anyway, here is my first draft of the 45 second opening sequence (rendered at half size). I plan on using Moho for all the 2D work, Maya for the 3D work, and Adobe Premiere to pull it all together (I hope to use After Effects along the way if I have to).
I was amazed at how quickly I could turn this out using Moho. I had started this project using Flash and Toon Boom. But I realized pretty quickly that the creators of the cartoon series used 3D camera moves in 2D alot. That's where Moho came in. I posted on a Maya forum that I was going to do the whole thing in Maya with 2D planes. One of the members said this would have taken alot longer than it would in Moho. (After Effects was another solution but I don't have much experience with AE and it's a pretty powerful but sophisticated package.) I started using it - now I'm hooked ;)

Of course just a start but check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Invader Zim Opening Sequence WIP
Last edited by mdmodeler on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Why recreate something and make the copy look like the original? Why copy anything at all?
tonyrome

Post by tonyrome »

ooohh rylleman you must be just bursting with creative juices!

You migh not understand why people copy, but thats how some people learn
OOhh dont copy anything or your worthless...
When we draw something from life dont we copy it?
Hey matter of fact when we draw on or imaginatiion arent we copying whats in our head . And so on and on

rylleman your art must be something to see just full of stuff no one on earth has ever seen before. Therefore you must be a GOD

By the way mdmodeler keep up the great work I think your ZIM opening looks awesome!
tonyrome

Post by tonyrome »

Hey Rylleman just kidding not everyone is as good as you cut the guy some slack.

Your stuff is really advanced
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes, there is method to the "madness" of "copying".

Keep in mind that fine art colleges send the students to museums and ask them to "copy" the masters stroke for stroke to learn their techniques...

As a young lad I "copied" the drawings in my art instruction books and illustrated children's books...

I "copied" music when I played in a concert band.

Later I painted/airbrushed portraits onto paper and clothing from photographs for money...

As a young man working in a design agency... I often had to modify "clip" art to save time... and in the process... polished my skills without having to reinvent the wheel...

These days... I am more inclined to "borrow" some JavaScript, HTML or... lua code...

Keep copying. Just as long as you let everyone know that it is a "copy" or interpretation, it is a truly great way to learn.

-Vern
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Ah, learning, never thought of that. Ok, then there might be some use of copying animation.
I need to stop posting when I'm just fresh awake.
mdmodeler

Copying and feedback

Post by mdmodeler »

tonyrome - Thanks for your words of encouragement.
rylleman - I promise after I finish this opening sequence, I'll have a better handle on the tools and I'll put something "original" out there.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Well, Ive never seen Invader Zim, so I can't comment on how it compares to the original, but this looks sharp! Well done!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Krilik

Post by Krilik »

Wow... I can honestly say that is very high quality. It looks great. If you keep up the same level of quality for the rest of the sequence they'll look identical.
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

Imatation is the sincerist form of flattery, which I take to mean is copy to your heart's content, don't claim it as your own. I encouraged my students to copy as it provided a sense of purpose to the less confident. A great way to learn a new application.
You'll know when you get there! My Dad
mdmodeler

Update to sequence

Post by mdmodeler »

Hi,
I've done the next 3 seconds (still missing one other character in the last second of film which I'll be working on tonight).
The next part of the project will involve Moho a little bit for some spot animation and background animation/compositing but mostly it will involve Maya.
Thanks for all the compliments ;)

Take care.

Here it is:

At Putfile:
http://media.putfile.com/Invader-Zim-Opening-Sequence-WIP-2

At Savefile:
http://www.savefile.com/files/4949183
mdmodeler

Some details on the vid

Post by mdmodeler »

I was sitting here with a buddy I work with and he's also a Moho user. He thought it might be helpful to pass on a gimmick I'm using in Moho to create the large crowd in the Invader Zim video.
Obviously I used the particle system with 2 base boned characters. However, when I first tried to get the number of characters I needed (100's) the render times went through the roof. So I faked out the crowd in the following manner:

1. Open up a new Moho project that matches the animation length for crowd raising their fists.
2. Import the 2 based boned characters into the new project.
3. Create a new particle layer for each character and keep them real close together (setting the width low).
4. I set the count to about 25 instances.
5. Render the sequence to a crowds.mov file (ensure to save it as "Millions+" to keep the alpha layer).
6. Open the original project.
7. Import the "crowds.mov" file at the point in the animation you want the crowd to display. Move it away from the camera on the z-axis (remember to use the mouse button drag with the ALT key to move on the z-axis).
8. Repeat the process above a few times depending on how many layers of crowds you need.

That's it.
mdmodeler

Update to Invader Zim Opening Sequence WIP

Post by mdmodeler »