Mohpose 3D Posing System for Moho 12

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Mohpose 3D Posing System for Moho 12

Post by DK »

Hi everyone.
I've spent the last few weeks creating a 3D figure posing system for Moho 12 and up.
I'm calling it Mohpose V1 and it's based on an extensive set of Smartbone Actions and
bone nesting.

Issues.
Unfortunately I found a bug in Moho 12.5 while making this system. It appears that Moho has
an action limit built in. Mohpose V1 has reached that limit so for the time being it is not possible
to create your own actions. it's full and any attempt to add one more action Moho shuts down.
That aside this is a great way to create animations and rotate them in 3D so you can use the
figure as reference to your 2D work.

Demo

Walk Cycle Tutorial

Love to hear any feedback from the forum on the videos as they're pretty self explanatory.
Right now this is a personal project but if anyone thinks they might be able to help with
the action limitation issue I would be happy to share it with them.

Cheers
D.K
Last edited by DK on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jahnocli

Re: Mohpose 3D Posing System for Moho 12

Post by jahnocli »

Terrific work! Unfortunately I can't help with the action limit, but it looks pretty useful as is.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks jahnocli.
Yes, It is quite fun and easy to use for Moho users and 2D animators who are used to dealing with 2D views.
That's why I split it up into 3 views, Side, Top and Front. Most of the work gets done in the side view
panel at the top. Other 3D software confuses me where it's all basically in the one plane.

Cheers
David
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Great work, David! Is this something you plan on selling?

I would bet the action limit is per layer. If so, you might could transition to a duplicate for other actions, or maybe add actions to a reference that doesn't have any of its own?
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Wes.
I( actually built it for myself as a design reference for a character I am creating. Initially inspired by Clipstudio's 3D character you can pose and draw. I wished Moho had something like this so I tried to make it with Smarbones and it worked! As far as selling it, that wasn't what I had planned and seeing it has Actions limitations I didn't think it was good enough to sell.

Cheers
D.K
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

hey David - that is amazing. I'm not sure if I can actually help with the action limit - but I'd still be happy to take a look. It might be something that a layerscript can help with???
DK

Post by DK »

Hi hayasidist.
I will send you a copy now.
I tried using layer referencing to free up the main layer but it doesn't work, way too laggy and it does strange things
to the actions.

Cheers
D.K
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Wow, this is crazy! You're some kind of mad genius! This is really cool, and seems like a useful tool for preproduction or reference. I was never really sold on the addition of Poser features into Moho - it seemed to heavy and the nature of the two separate applications meant it could just never be smooth enough. But this looks like it could be just the thing for seeing what a character and its movement looks like from different angles. If you didn't have the restriction on the number of actions, maybe you could add options for body proportions in a future version.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Mike.
Wow. Thanks for the response. It's really the great tool set that you created that is behind it. All I did was rearrange things but good news is thanks to Wes I have managed to halve the amount of actions which opens up the flood gates for more options and also save/load custom actions. Next version will also have switchable hand poses.

Cheers
D.K
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Hi DK.

I created a topic to have a tool capable of moving Moho's bones in a fake 3D view, and @Maestral told me to look at your topic and that it could help me.

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=33474

While watching your videos I realized that your script is a pose tool for a 3D object, but is it possible to do the opposite, that is to say, to control Moho bones via the puppet of Poser and thus animate a character in 2.5D?

A character like this for example ?:

DK

Post by DK »

Hi lychee.
That 2.5 rig is amazing great work! Mohpose is a 3D reference tool that uses a 3D mesh you can manipulate to assist animation and drawing in Moho. It is not meant to be a character designer but a tool you can use to assist with 2D animation and drawing. inspiration taken from Clipstudio where they have a 3D model you can pose and trace. Mohpose is the same but will eventually contain reference actions you can load in and build animated sequences for a scene then rotate that sequence in 3D so you can get and idea of how you want your animated scene to play out and use it as an animation reference.

Version 3 of Mohpose is coming but it is very time consuming. Maybe this is something you could also look at with your concept? Is it possible to switch characters and still have your system work with customized vectors?
It's great to see people pushing the boundaries of Moho :)

Cheers
D.K