HAPPY LAND update

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Here's where I'm going with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBSJQ8skL0E

Still to do intro and outro and add sound. Anyone know any good DVD's with SFX on for purchase? I'd like to get a whole bunch of good-quality sounds for something like this, cartoon, atmospheric, foley, etc...

Thanks,

Mike
Bedhead

Post by Bedhead »

Mikdog wrote:Anyone know any good DVD's with SFX on for purchase? I'd like to get a whole bunch of good-quality sounds for something like this, cartoon, atmospheric, foley, etc...
There is a cheap download of 500+ sound effects for $1.99 USD from Amazon.com (in fact, I believe that someone else had posted the link in this forum).

500+ Sound Effects
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Take a look at FlashKit.com -- they have a lot of free sound effects.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
lumarama

Post by lumarama »

Mikdog wrote:Was kind of interesting hey? Haven't really seen Anaglyph stereo rendering used with AS.

Anyways, started sketching out a scene for the next story I have. I think I may not do it with vectors and more with .PNG files. Not comfortable enough with Toon Boom's software to use the drawing tools, though it'd probably be easier (and I'd need to buy the program). Also haven't tried TV Paint which I imagine might be quite good for this kind of thing.
I know it is not so important, but still: where are you animating? AS or ToonBoom? It appeared to me that ToonBoom is less convinient for cut-out animation compared to AS. ToonBoom is more for classic white-board animation I think.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I figure this one http://www.sound-ideas.com/hb.html is a tad bit expensive?

Years ago I copied some CDs on tape, good quality sound FX of everything. But I still use a healthy mix of my own recordings and treatments.

Hm. Maybe I should sell my sounds?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

lumarama - I used AS for this.

Slow - maybe...although I'm kind of figuring that making sounds could also be quite fun. That HB CD looks great, although they sound kind of old-school. Some of the stuff is classic though, the whizzes and zips.
Acochran_89

Post by Acochran_89 »

being a digital audio engineer myself, i'll tell you that if you can find the means to do it, creating your own sounds is quite a fun experience. I've never used it for my animations before, but have done it for a few projects that my studio has done sound for.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

When I was about 8 or 10 I got a cassette recorder. I used to record radio plays with my sister, and the most fun was doing the sound effects: horses, gunshots, whatever. A bit later I learned to splice tape and create loops.

I continued recording, eventually starting to do my own music, and creating sound FX for my school theatre project. Later I did the sound not only for my own but also for others' films. You can hire me for this ...

Anyway, the most important part about sound design is to know how to record. Even with a cheap microphone and software like Audacity you can get great results, if you know about positioning the mike, setting correct levels, and damp surrounding noise.

Everything else helps but is not that important: how to change pitch and speed, how to filter, and how to add the right amount of reverb.

Search for some 60's shorts from eastern europe. Quite often they have a very inventive soundtrack, made from lots of different and mostly unidentifyable sounds.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Here's the episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ONPPXnQe24

And here's the full outro song:

http://www.bruandboegie.co.za/songs/HAPPY_LAND_1.m4a

Peace,

Mike
knunk

Post by knunk »

Dunno what to say man! That is SO good.
Some one should give you a big bag of money, now.

J
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks. Hey, if you're offering there's a good chance I won't say no.
Acochran_89

Post by Acochran_89 »

Wow....once again great job Mike. You've got such a unique style. Lol love the characters.
lumarama

Post by lumarama »

Nice style! I think we should call it "goldfish-style" :D
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Here's a little 40 second Happy Land short I made with my brother:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0jxmWxbbk

I'm thinking of making a few and hopefully being able to sell them as interstitial shorts for a TV station.
robj

Post by robj »

That was excellent ! good design, movement, timing ... everything. It made me smile. Good luck with that and feed us more when you can.

Rob