HAPPY LAND update

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mortschultz

Post by mortschultz »

I'm at exactly the same point with my animation, except I live in Canada. I would love to hear any advice you've been given so far!

I'm working on putting together a document containing a bunch of information about my animation and the characters in it so I can send it off to a few of the Canadian networks.

I'd love to talk to you to see how you're going to go about doing this though!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hi,

Well, I've done the animation, and as far as I can tell, it's done.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okVLZutkl8

Please lemme know if the sound works. This PC doesn't have speakers.

Seeing various production companies next week. Wish me luck.

Thanks for all the help from you guys on this animation, especially slowtiger, who was instrumental in getting this done.

Tech specs:

- Created in vector completely in Moho/Anime Studio Pro
- 3 scenes rendered out separately - Intro, Main Part, & Outro
- Voice recorded in Audacity
- Composited in iMovie '08 on Mac
- Sound created in GarageBand 08 on Mac

There you go. Happy that I used 100% legal software.

To burn to DVD, I exported with no compression. Then, from iMovie, exported the file with Animation Compression, BEST quality. Burned with iDVD. For DVD I exported from AS and iDVD in 16:9. Looks awesome ;)

Awareness,

Mike
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Sound worked fine for me, and that was amazing! I've been watching this project since its ealiest days and it amazes me how good it came out!

I wish you the best of luck in shopping this project - it's truly a great idea!
~Danimal
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Good luck with marketing this. You deserve to succeed!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
BunyanFilms

Post by BunyanFilms »

Great Job Mike!
bonvivant

Post by bonvivant »

Absofrickin beautiful mike! You don't need the luck I'd wish, so I'll just use this space after the comma to ask how you got such great quality vids on youtube!

Also, thanks for the introduction to adventure time! It rocked my world!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks for the kind words guys ;)

Seen various people, will report back once I have any more questions or if I've finalized something.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Well, I'm moving onto another episode of Happy Land.

This time, the theme is RECYCLING.

Here are 2 rough drafts of characters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R89nZrcEYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T5Gq8EQF7g
Jeronimus

Post by Jeronimus »

I love dirty! He looks so... dirty! Eco is a cool character as well with a lot of potential; I can only imagine all the tips for a cleaner environment he could give or not wasting water or... well, the possibilities are endless, aren't they? I've noticed the cube character in your intro to Happy Land, will he be getting an episode sometime as well? I'd like to know more about what he'll be representing. Same thing goes for the giant in the credit sequence, are you intending on having him a character sometime?

Keep it up, I love this series so much, even though it's just one episode.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks ;)

It seems as though you can either get a contract for development, where you get more money, but then the broadcaster/production company has coopyright, and can then sell it on to others. Or you have joint copyright. Anyway, you end up getting a fair bit of dosh up front, but not as much with resales and licensing further on once the series is done.

OR, you can make the whole series on your own tab, keep copyright yourself, and license it out (hire it out) to broadcasters across the world.

The licensing option sounds awesome to me. It's much like putting all your eggs in one basket, though. Oh well. Here goes.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hello.

Well, discussions are underway. I've got in contact with a very cool animation production company. They suggested a co-production. They also know the big-wigs in out local government television company.

What we hope to do, is they negotiate a contract where the local broadcaster has like, 5% copyright. Then they invest a little money to get the series made. Me and the production company share copyright, so we call the shots. But, since the broadcaster is involved, they have a vested interest in the series, so they market it and advertise it as well.

Then, once the series is made, we can license it out to other broadcasters for a fee. The national broadcaster gets 5% of revenue of this fee, because they own 5% of the show.

This is all new to me, but I think that's the general idea.

All I know is I'm ready to animate more episodes.

Also, we have to speak to a child psychologist to define boundaries for script-writing. Apparently it's quite a serious field, in determining what's healthy for children and what's not.

Shew. Anyway, looking good, and I'm feeling positive about this.
KenW

Post by KenW »

Here's hoping you find much knowledge, wisdom and great treasure through this process . Good work ! keep us informed. :)
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Sounds like things are getting serious! Good luck!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks ;)

With any luck I'll have my own series of Happy Land soon. Made the bible. Looks cool. Keeping everything as simple as possible. Also need to earn some bucks, as I'm not earning any income right now. Eek.

Something I did quickly with my webcomic characters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmqlelFBE5k

Jeronimus: SQUARE will indeed be included in a future episode. Also intend using the giant. The idea I had when I created these characters was that the basic template of the mouth and eyes is all set up for animating, as well as the legs. The bodies can change, and I don't have to redo the face or legs. So, I like creating characters and want to have different characters in each episode. I know this gets in the way of continuation, but each character is created to suit the story and to help tell the story. I wanna have lots and lots of characters, kind of like a pokemon universe, and once I've created a character it can be reused in the Happy Land universe.

As I've been told, I might need to create all the scripts for episodes before continuing on production. The scripts need to be approved by the broadcasters before any animation work is done.

Shew.

I'm just holding thumbs that they invest a little bit (or a lot) in the beginning so that I can afford to get all the scripts together.

One way or another, this thing has to work.
Kadoogan

Post by Kadoogan »

I really enjoyed the characterizations and animation on the one sample I was able to play through Youtube that you still have posted of Happyland.

The story about teamwork was imaginative and well executed. Although you are basically reusing the facial features, you still have characters that have a feeling of individuality through their voices and movements.

I love the way the sun pops in and out as required.

The beginning sequence is fabulous, where you are travelling through the land to get to the final title screen.

The music is great and fits the production beautifully. The beginning theme is very fun and also imaginative.

I loved the end sequence for the titles with the walking giant as well.

The characters and backgrounds are simplistic, but with style - and very appropriate for children.

You have put a lot of thought, feeling and work into this production. For me the most enjoyable thing was seeing how well you animated the characters despite their simplistic appearance, giving them character and making them fun not only with their individual movements, but with their facial expressions as well.

Really nice job. I know you are going to be successful with this.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam