Parenting cross-constraint example

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Parenting cross-constraint example

Post by synthsin75 »

I made this up for my own reference, but maybe someone else could find it helpful. These are examples of using bone parenting to make one constraint input (translate,rotate,or scale) output to a different constraint of another bone. I think these will help minimize control points on a rig.
Another benefit is that they don't require scripting, which may be of interest to non-Pro users.

new link

Let me know if anyone finds this useful.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
human

Post by human »

This is the first time I've ever seen AS complain about opening a file with "an error in the code." It shuts down.

Can you resubmit a correction?
fiziwig

Post by fiziwig »

Opening it in a text editor I see that the file has had its end chopped off. The last line is in the middle of an incomplete keys structure.

Is there a file length limit with your host that you exceeded?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Maybe you need to upload the file again. It might have gotten "scrambled".

I fixed it using a text editor but I had to delete one of the layers. Something happened to one of the notes layers and it caused the file to fail to open. If you put "funky" characters in a note layer text it can sometimes trash the file.

---------

I checked it out and it looks like you have discovered Genete's "Springy Bones"! along with a few others.

Genete's creation of those "springy bones" a while back was my inspiration for a TON of scripts and some crazy head turn experiments. I was AMAZED by it when I first saw it. He used that for "circular" translations because the bone at the end translates based on rotations. You get a "perfect" back and forth translation. (I ended up with a head turn with 100's of bones which is why I wrote those scripts to have ONE bone instead of 3 for a similar effect) ;)

There is a thread about head turns in tips and techniques (3 bone head turn?) that uses the "scale/translation". Put the scaling bone on the opposite side translates a bone in "reverse" direction to create a "turning" effect. It was incredibly effective.

This is a fantastic reference for all of those relationships. Great to have it all in one file.

p.s. Let me know if your copy of this file is also "broken". I can send you the fixed one. I am pretty sure it is due to funky text in the notes layers. I experimented with notes and was able to "break" files if I typed in strange characters.

-vern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Here is the fixed file:

http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/foru ... aints.anme

I had to delete a notes layer. The part that was "missing" at the end.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

I checked it out and it looks like you have discovered Genete's "Springy Bones"!
What times those! :D

-G
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Thanks Vern, mine works fine. I'll try again. If not I'll just copy your link.
And yeah, I meant to give you credit Genete. That's by no means my discovery. I figured the heavy scripting folks would just ignore it. Like I said, non-Pro users may find some of those rigs useful.
Not to mention myself, until either I learn how to utilize more scripts or someone writes them as tool or menu scripts. (hint, hint)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

While I'm thinking about it, is the only way to include an image layer to zip it up with the .anme file?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

synthsin75 wrote:While I'm thinking about it, is the only way to include an image layer to zip it up with the .anme file?
Yes that is correct. An AS file is just like an HTML document. The images in it are just "links" they aren't contained inside it.
Thanks Vern, mine works fine. I'll try again. If not I'll just copy your link.
If that is the case then it is possible the file got "chopped" or corrupted during upload. I downloaded it several times just to make sure it wasn't a bad download.

I would try uploading it again from your end first. I checked and there are no "funky" characters in the notes layers that are working so I doubt it was that. Probably something happened when you uploaded it.

-vern