LIP SYNCING AND MOUTH MOVEMENTS for beginers

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dreww

LIP SYNCING AND MOUTH MOVEMENTS for beginers

Post by dreww »

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I never read anything about it so im just posting this.

When I first tried to draw my own mouths they were awful because i tried to draw a brand new one each time, but this key is to keep somewhat the same.

1. I draw the mouth at rest
2. I copy the rested mouth and name it something like open, and then I draw the mouth open.
3. I might duplicate the open mouth and make it narrower or wider.
4. I think I end up making mouths for: L, Open Wide(teeth showing), Open, Open Narrow, S/T/CH/SH, F/V, TH, M/N, O/OO/alot of other things, and I might have more but i can't think now, but this really works well for me, especially the open wide, narrow and normal, because I can use those for A's K's R's anything and it looks good.

just my advice: We say each word with the same mouth so your cartoons should too. =)
Datawraith

Post by Datawraith »

Isn't the only problem with that then is just having the patience to constantly watch the same part and make the moths move every single keyframe?

Oh MAN the short speech part in my animation is going to get annoying. lol
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

datawraith - judging on your comment here, and your other post essentially asking how to make something good with as little effort as possible - it seems to me, animation is not for you. :wink:
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

You can be a pretty lazy animator and still get decent lip sync using Papagayo. Do what dreww says but use the 10 Papagayo mouth shapes.

After making the first mouth, I like to make a note layer in front of everything with a note that says "<-- mouth corner -->". I then copy this note layer, zoom way in on the mouth, and move the two note layers so there's an arrow at each corner of the mouth at rest, like this:

<-- mouth corner -->(Character's Mouth)<-- mouth corner -->

The corners of other mouth shapes may move from that exact location, but it can make things smoother if they don't stray too far.

Basically a wind-resistant version of Post-Its on your monitor.
ErikAtMapache

Post by ErikAtMapache »

I say don't worry about it taking too long -- once you get started (after you make your basic mouth shapes in your model), lip syncing is actually pretty easy. I like to start by looking at the waveform (the image of the sound) and move forward listening to AAs, EEs, OOs, and MMs, as well as syncing up when the mouth closes. I'll do a quick review of the animation and then go back and add any missing detail if it's needed. If you're close, the viewer's mind will fill in anything that's missing.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

On my last job I had a crazy short deadline so I used a rig someone built to drive a mouth open more based on the amplitude of the dialogue sound file. Worked fine. I'd rather hand lipsync but it did the job.

viewtopic.php?t=12802&highlight=mouth
Datawraith

Post by Datawraith »

funksmaname wrote:datawraith - judging on your comment here, and your other post essentially asking how to make something good with as little effort as possible - it seems to me, animation is not for you. :wink:
Actually it's just that I have a close deadline to meet and I can't spend too much time detailing things. I'm trying to learn to convey what I need to, in as little detailing time as possible.

Ordinarily I'd spend days on just one scene.
crsP

Re: LIP SYNCING AND MOUTH MOVEMENTS for beginers

Post by crsP »

dreww wrote:just my advice: We say each word with the same mouth so your cartoons should too. =)
This is wrong, and bad advice. Take the word 'The', for example. Most commonly said as 'der', proper pronunciation would emphasis the 'th' with a tongue between the teeth, and some people say 'ver'. So that's three different ways of saying one word, which all require different mouth shapes. What you are better off doing is listening to the soundtrack, and thinking about the character and how they would say things as well as the circumstances they are saying it in, then lip sync as needed.
rsandi

Lipsynk with Papagayo Tutorial

Post by rsandi »

rsandi

Re: Lipsynk with Papagayo Tutorial

Post by rsandi »

Me preguntaron sobre cómo hacer el lipsink con dos personajes...
Acá está el tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mExwuhUCWaA