'Export to PNG' retains alpha channel - yes!

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

theotherguy

'Export to PNG' retains alpha channel - yes!

Post by theotherguy »

Hi, I've discovered a great use for 'set export animation to PNG' especially if you're into stop animation. My animation is made up of sequential PNG's which have a invisible (alpha channel) backdrop.

I've been rendering off files as .avi, (which crashes the pc regularly) or Quicktime with a blue background, which I import it into my video editor (Vegas 9) and chromakey them. This produces mixed results - ghosting, bad colour. I did notice though, when I import a PNG into Vegas, it perserves the alpha channel.

Now I render everything as PNG and import it into Vegas as individual images with a duration of .024 seconds. The quality is great and it keys perfectly!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

if you export QT in 'animation' setting and make sure 'Million Colours +' is selected it will keep the alpha channel (the + indicates the alpha, as there is also a 'Million Colours' setting)

I just wrote pretty much the same message for someone yesterday, i wish people would read :P
theotherguy

Post by theotherguy »

I read your post. I tried the QT render, it didn't work nearly as well as the PNG import. Once you render something it's one unit, if you import image files you have 24 images per second which is easier to work with.