Intercutting Shots

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

shift

Intercutting Shots

Post by shift »

I am planning an animation which is basically a back and forth interview between two different characters. How do I cut back and forth between the two scenes? Is this where onion skins come in? If so then how? Or should I use switch layers?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

There are a number of ways to do this. You could use a group layer for each protagonist, and switch them in and out with Visibility. You could use Switch layers. Or you could have separate projects for each protagonist, and then splice them together in a video editor. (The last possibility gives easiest options for tweaking timing etc.)
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
shift

Post by shift »

jahnocli wrote:There are a number of ways to do this. You could use a group layer for each protagonist, and switch them in and out with Visibility. You could use Switch layers. Or you could have separate projects for each protagonist, and then splice them together in a video editor. (The last possibility gives easiest options for tweaking timing etc.)
Thanks. The last idea came to mind but I didn't want to resort to using a separate program if Anime Studio could do it easily. Since I am comfortable with video editing I guess I'll use the latter as you recommended.
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Use the camera and/or layer movement, and set your keyed frames to "step" interpolation". That will work. Breaking up bits into scenes doesn't hurt for post production provided you have a video editor like Premiere or similar.